JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for ideas on locations/spots for rock fish fishing from the shore. Wife and I have tried the Barview jetty (Tillamook area) a few times and that is the only spot we know.
Appreciate your input and sharing.

I've tried the South Newport Jetty, Columbia North Jetty, and Barview. Most places are best for experiencing new sights. I'll have to try Cape Kiwanda and Depot Bay eventually. I also hear that Winchester bay is really good.
Anywhere there are a lot of rocks you can access will be a good place to start, don't be afraid to try new places if you have the time.
Gulp 5" twisty tails and 3" pogy mean business.

I've tried the South Newport Jetty, Columbia North Jetty, and Barview. Most places are best for experiencing new sights. I'll have to try Cape Kiwanda and Depot Bay eventually. I also hear that Winchester bay is really good.
Anywhere there are a lot of rocks you can access will be a good place to start, don't be afraid to try new places if you have the time.
Gulp 5" twisty tails and 3" pogy mean business.
Yeah, just be careful on the jetties, especially Newport and especially the north jetty - keep an eye on the tide and the weather, and the further out you go the more dangerous the north jetty is - I can't tell you how many people we had to rescue off that jetty and who got swept into the water.

The south jetty is wider and more accessible, plus it has the finger jetties which are probably better fishing, but stay off those finger jetties as they are very narrow and usually submerged.

@The Heretic that's all great information. The main reason I did not fish the north jetty out at newport was due to the weather, constant waves breaking over the jetty. The south side was much calmer when I was there. As for the fishing, the north jetty has a reef off the end of it that is supposed to be excellent fishing in the right conditions, maybe best done from a boat tho.

@The Heretic that's all great information. The main reason I did not fish the north jetty out at newport was due to the weather, constant waves breaking over the jetty. The south side was much calmer when I was there. As for the fishing, the north jetty has a reef off the end of it that is supposed to be excellent fishing in the right conditions, maybe best done from a boat tho.
No - don't try north of the north jetty on a boat at least not directly north.

That reef is called the "pinnacles" and extends off the tip of the north jetty for quite a distance. If you lose power or otherwise get into trouble, it will be very hard for help to get to you. You might notice that all of the CG training in surf happens off South Beach, not to the north of the north jetty - that is because the pinnacles are dangerous and only a few people know their way thru them, and they tighten their sphincters when they have to go in (usually to rescue someone who wandered in unknowingly - few chose to do so knowingly.

Have been wanting to get back to fishing off Oregon rocky shore/iron shore. I find most of the easily accessible areas I used to fish with mixed rock/gravel shoreline have been put into non fishing preserves and research areas. I've found this to be true from Cape Arago in the south to Yachats in the north. I have worked with google maps further up and down the coast and have found many easily accessible interesting areas to be listed in non collecting/fishing closed areas.

Cape Arago used to to be great rocky shore fishing and diving.

Be sure to check Oregon fishing synopsis.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR