JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I still remember being forced to watch clinton's inaugeration in school... Maya Angelou was put up there to read "raisin in the sun" at the time, I had no idea what she was talking about, but I've been sick of both raisins and poetry ever since.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/378959/rip-maya-angelou-proud-gun-owner-and-user-tim-cavanaugh

Did you inherit your mother's fondness for guns?

I like to have guns around. I don't like to carry them.
Have you ever fired your weapon?
I was in my house in North Carolina. It was fall. I heard someone walking on the leaves. And somebody actually turned the knob. So I said, "Stand four feet back because I'm going to shoot now!" Boom! Boom! The police came by and said, "Ms. Angelou, the shots came from inside the house." I said, "Well, I don't know how that happened."

Strange, I tried to find the SNL parody of David Alan Grier playing Maya in a Butterfinger commercial and the ones that are easily posted here have been removed. It's on the National Review link anyway. Sooo funny, he was spot on!

BTW I thought her poetry sucked, Edgar Allen Poe, now that's poetry!

her literary prowess is beyond my comprehension, having been more at home with poems which start "there was a man from Nantucket...."

Interesting fact: She was a madam and a prostitute. I didn't know that. http://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/i/i-know-why-the-caged-bird-sings/maya-angelou-biography
And a half dozen books about and by her were prominently displayed all over the kids section of our local library. When the progressives/media (one in the same) elevate someone to Sainthood the whole machine gets on board. I guess the feminists give her a pass because she portrayed herself as a victim who pulled herself up from hard times.
I glanced at her bio, she was an exotic dancer as well. As long as consenting adults are involved I don't have a big problem with these things but prostitution can be a nasty business.
She was a smart woman though, parlaying her corny insperational poetry along with her deep voiced slow delivery into a money maker but come on! Her death got as much, maybe more coverage than Neil Armstrong.

I've never read any of her books, so being sane, secure, self sufficient, and having a brain, larger than a pine needle, I won't supply a critique toward her!

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads