JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The survival of any small business is predicated on its reputation in the community it serves; especially for brick-and-mortar businesses that do very little business over the Internet. I'm sure Al Richeson understood this very well when building his business from the ground up; beginning in 1963. Unfortunately, Lee Richeson (Al's son and current owner), apparently was too busy learning the mechanics of gunsmithing to internalize this vital lesson of small business operations.

Lee, and his staff, employ bait-and-switch tactics when pricing services to customers (including myself). After taking my gun in for service, the specifics of which will not be published here to protect my identity (and any lawsuit attempts by Lee), Lee slapped me with an invoice that was 50% higher than the highest price in the range originally quoted to me for the services provided. Additionally, his staff failed to clean my gun after test firing; a common courtesy in the industry. If you search this forum you will find many complaints from former customer's of Rich's Gun Shop (Donald, OR) regarding the same underhanded, dishonest, and unethical tactics used by Lee and his staff. The shop looks cool, but Lee built it by ripping off customers. Don't be fooled by the small town charm and so-called family-oriented conservatism of Donald. It never rubbed off on Lee Richeson. I'm sure his dad is turning in his grave every time another Rich's Gun Shop customer is ripped off.

I'm certainly passing along the word to everyone I know in the Oregon shooting community. Stay away from Rich's Gun Shop. Lee is his own worst enemy and a God-sent to his competitors. I'm just glad I learned my lesson on my very first visit so that I didn't give too much money to Lee and the economy of Donald for allowing these types of business practices to continue in their community. It is obvious to me, an MBA in finance, that Lee will destroy what his father worked so hard and long to build.

IF YOU CONTINUE TO DO BUSINESS WITH RICH'S GUN SHOP, GET ALL QUOTES IN WRITING! DO NOT RELY ON WORD-OF-MOUTH OR TELEPHONE CONVERSATIONS CONCERNING PRICING OR SCOPE OF WORK!

Last Edited:
The survival of any small business is predicated on its reputation in the community it serves; especially for brick-and-mortar businesses that do very little business over the Internet. I'm sure Al Richeson understood this very well when building his business from the ground up; beginning in 1963. Unfortunately, Lee Richeson (Al's son and current owner), apparently was too busy learning the mechanics of gunsmithing to internalize this vital lesson of small business operations.

Lee, and his staff, employ bait-and-switch tactics when pricing services to customers (including myself). After taking my gun in for service, the specifics of which will not be published here to protect my identity (and any lawsuit attempts by Lee), Lee slapped me with an invoice that was 50% higher than the highest price in the range originally quoted to me for the services provided. Additionally, his staff failed to clean my gun after test firing; a common courtesy in the industry. If you search this forum you will find many complaints from former customer's of Rich's Gun Shop (Donald, OR) regarding the same underhanded, dishonest, and unethical tactics used by Lee and his staff. The shop looks cool, but Lee built it by ripping off customers. Don't be fooled by the small town charm and so-called family-oriented conservatism of Donald. It never rubbed off on Lee Richeson. I'm sure his dad is turning in his grave every time another Rich's Gun Shop customer is ripped off.

I'm certainly passing along the word to everyone I know in the Oregon shooting community. Stay away from Rich's Gun Shop. Lee is his own worst enemy and a God-sent to his competitors. I'm just glad I learned my lesson on my very first visit so that I didn't give too much money to Lee and the economy of Donald for allowing these types of business practices to continue in their community. It is obvious to me, an MBA in finance, that Lee will destroy what his father worked so hard and long to build.

IF YOU CONTINUE TO DO BUSINESS WITH RICH'S GUN SHOP, GET ALL QUOTES IN WRITING! DO NOT RELY ON WORD-OF-MOUTH OR TELEPHONE CONVERSATIONS CONCERNING PRICING OR SCOPE OF WORK!

I'm thinking of a feminine hygiene product that describes this post...

I work in the auto industry and can understand how the bill can be higher than quoted, but...

If it's going to go north of what's quoted, I'd think it's worth a phone call...

Also, the only time I had Rich's do work for me I took my gun in and talked to Lee about what I wanted. Later I called and told them to change the profile on the front sight. Well, when I got the gun back it was the price I was quoted (good) but the message to change the profile wasn't passed on (not so good).

I wasn't pleased, but I wasn't totally pissed off. Just figgered I'd find another gunsmith if I needed work done again.

He does have a cool store and it's worth a visit. If the OP is pissed at Lee, he surely shouldn't take it out on the town of Donald. By the way, Rich last worked in Lake Grove.

I have been into rich's once when shopping for a Springfield xd compact. His price on a used one was more than I could get a brand new one from several other shops in the area. I asked him why and I he said it was because he offers a life time warranty and free cleaning. I don't think that justifies charging more than a new one costs. I would rather clean my own guns and most manufacturers have a great warranty any. Just my two cents. I will never give my business to them. I am fairly loyal to the gun broker in Woodburn, Oregon. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable.

I always call the customer if I miss quote a job, or I missed something during the initial quote. Most of the time I just eat the time or parts if I'm wrong...I hate receiving a gun that is absolutey filthy but just add a good cleaning to the repair. Most of the time not cleaning cause the problem.

I to like gb Woodburn!

Welcome to the forum

It seems that most businesses have one or two bad transactions that sometimes really stand out, my experience with them was fair if not good. I was interested in selling an SKS and a Savage .270 and they told me that they're a business and would have to offer a low price before they even mentioned any amount. Even though they could have made a decent amount of cash they told me the truth instead, honesty like that can be hard to come by. Also their staff was very helpful to me in finding a product that I wanted.
I must say it would be wise to take pics before having work done and sign an agreement just to be safe, its your property and your money. As far as ratings go I'd give Riches shop 4 out of 5 stars but thats my opinion.

I know everybody has their own experiences, and I'm sorry the OP did not have a good experience. My experiences there have been always positive. In a day and age that the number of real gunsmiths is becoming less, it's nice to have them around.

WAYNO.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads