JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Remington .17 HMR that I have learned is supposed to be dangerous to fire. This weapon is cleaned regularly and I have never had a bit of trouble with it. Bought it in 2006.Remington has recalled all HMR's and will give a $250.00 voucher for the purchase of another Remington. Don't think so. This rifle fires every time and is very accurate. Any feedback on this situation?

Here is one blog that shows some of the safety issues that came up with the 597: The Firearm Blog » Why Remington recalled the .17 HMR Model 597

I've heard of a number of different issues with 17 HMR semi-autos. An mutual acquaintance that I spoke with had a Magnum Research semi auto that constantly had jams, FTEs, FTFs and just about every problem except kabooms.

Personally, I don't recommend holding onto a firearm model that has a track record of known safety issues.

elsie

I have a 597 it was a .17 hmr but I did notice that at the primer area after firing it the case was a little bulge I decided to switch it over to a .22 mag I bought a Jarvis barrel. I love the gun it shoots nice and accurate.
If you want a lot more info on the 597 go to rimfirecenteral.com go under Remington then sub folder 597 so much info there it's great and any other rim fire

Neither the .17HMR nor a .22 mag are suited for semi-auto use. Too much case pressure for a blow-back action. I believe it was Kel-Tec maybe that a year or so ago came out with a .22 mag auto pistol and all have been recalled and taken off the market.