JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a Remington700 sps tactical. I'm wanting to remove that heavy barrel and put a thinner profile barrel on my action. My question is if I get a barrel from wherever it it just as simple as screwing a new barrel on my action and checking headspace making sure that the lugs on the bolt are locking up properly? Do I need to shim / reem the replacement barrel. Am I over / under thinking it let me know.
Thank's everybody :)

It's really a gunsmith thing, as those barrels are very tight. I've seen some so tight that the gunsmith had to make a relief cut in the barrel just ahead of the receiver just to break it loose. You need a good barrel vice and action wrench. Sometimes you might get lucky and the headspace will be right, otherwise you'll need a lathe or at the very least a chamber reamer.

If you want to easily change the barrel consider a Remage barrel.
With a few tools you can easily do it yourself.
Remington receivers vary enough that swapping barrels from one Action to another has a good chance at headspace issues.

If you want to easily change the barrel consider a Remage barrel.
With a few tools you can easily do it yourself.
Remington receivers vary enough that swapping barrels from one Action to another has a good chance at headspace issues.

Was gonna mention the same thing.

But, if its the first barrel swap, I would take the opportunity to look into other gunsmithing options like action truing, squaring or replacing the recoil lug, restock and bedding. The 700 is the small block V8 of the rifle world.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top