JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The barrel will "swap on" just fine. The difference between a gun built at the factory to run 3-inch shells as well as 2 3/4-inch shells vs a gun from the factory to run only 2 3/4-inch shells is the ejector. The only difference in the two guns. Put the barrel with the 3-inch chamber on and you'll be able to shoot three inch shells (as well as the 2 3/4-inch shells). The gun will move them around inside just fine, you'll just have trouble ejecting the spent 3-inch hulls. The ejector on a "2 3/4-inch only" gun can be changed out, but will leave two rivet heads exposed on the left side that will need to be ground down and require refinishing. Not the hardest chore to be sure, but not something you really want to do unless you're going to refinish or are OK living with an ugly gun.

All the receivers are the same dimensionally (not talking about left-handed guns here); the Super Mags have a bigger hole in the side (port) and the Super Mag bolt has a little sliding shield to cover the port. Receivers are all the same and all start out as the same 16lb piece of steel.

ch139 Thank you for your response. I had a plan to turn my old 870 into a home defense gun and put in a 3" barrel but I think I'll keep it the way it is with 2 3/4". So you saved me the expense of the new barrel. Thanks again

No problem. For HD a good load like the Federal LE 00 Buck (LE132 00) is great. If you get into zombies or TEOTWAWKI 3' or 3 1/2" may well be very useful for things beyond hunting.