JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an 870 with a 36 inch barrel. It's a goose gun by all standards but I like the reach out and touch capabilities of the 36 inch. I am looking for a bayonet to put on the shotgun. I have found a couple conversion kits online (not for cheap), but they seem to attach to the tube extension, meaning they would only work for an 18 inch, and not my 36.

My question is if there are any other styles of bayonet attachments for the 870 that are more friendly to the longer barrel. Any help would be much appreciated, I'm open to just about anything. Thanks.

Thank you concealedhunter, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Where did your buddy go to find the bayonet? I figure on scrounging some pawn shops and military surplus stores.

It was a .410 and he found a surplus bayonet for a large caliber rifle.
The question I had for him and for you now is what are you needing the bayonet for? If you are shooting bird/buckshot you are going to have some problems if you shoot with a bayonet on the barrel. Or is the bayonet to be added on post-shot?

Mossburg 590 A1 with an M9 bayo and your troubles are done.

It may seem like a trite answer but really, if you're serious about doing this for serious work, as in putting huge stress on the mounts by actually using the knife, does it not make sense to do it with the only shotgun weapon system approved by the military to do it?

Many of us have seen some stuff that looked good in the gun stores or internet pictures wind up busted and useless after one day's training and field use. Seeing that junk broken off and discarded during an emergency is not what you want ...and I'd bet anyone would say it was a poor value if it came to it.

FWIW, get the gear built for the purpose, train hard with it and then stow it, knowing that when the S hits the F you'll be using the real deal and not some hokey make-do retro gizmo. ;)

@concealedhunter I plan on using it with slugs for the most part. The why is an issue of home defense, Russian invasion, zombies etc. Is the bayonet a great hindrance to buckshot?

@Doc In UPlace The 870 has an option similar, I simply have to sacrifice the 36in barrel for an 18 to allow for the conversion kit. You make excellent points about durability, and that is a major concern for me as well. Thanks for the input.

I've never shot a shotgun with a bayonet, but I would imagine chaos if you had pellets bouncing off the bayonet. Aside from eventually destroying the bayonet, you would disrupt your pellet spread in one of several ways. Worst case scenario, the bayonet snaps and hurtles in a random direction.
Slugs especially for home defense makes sense with the bayonet. For some reason I had it in my head that you wanted this for goose hunting

a 36 inch shotgun and home defense (if that is what it is going to be used for) just don't seem to go together for movement in the house just my $.02

I use it for goose hunting, but the bayonet has other purposes lol.

@oknow I've considered that, I really want it for a field gun. I also have a 18 inch barrel which is much better suited for indoors as you said.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top