JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Remington 700 .223 won't discharge. By appearances it cocks. At trigger pull, sounds like firing pin movement. Firing pin barely mark's primer. Took bolt apart and cleaned. Rifle has Jewel trigger. Placed bolt in second rifle and tested. Discharged. Placed second bolt in malfunctioning action. Same no contact with primer. Test method is to use primed brass. Do I have a bolt problem? Does trigger activate cocking of bolt? Is trigger not making contact on bolt closing? Can anyone offer resolution?

Sounds like a trigger issue. Does the other rifle you tested it with have the same Jewel trigger? I'm not an expert by any means on the Remington 700 trigger. I just watched a Youtube Video by the channel "Best Sniper Simulator" called "How Bolt Action Rifle Works (Remington 700 Mechanism)". It shows a cut away of the rifle firing. I hope that helps a little.

A guess:

A 700 bolt is either cocked or not.
Which is the same as either released or not.

I think...on release, the firing pin is thrown forward, extending beyond the bolt face, striking the primer hard, then coming to rest just inside the bolt face.

My question: has the faulty rifle been rebarreled?

On the face of the matter, it makes me want to ask about headspace.

Sounds like ether a trigger issue or the bolt needs it's sear checked/repaired! Remove the bolt and flip it up side down, and have a look at the sear on the firing pin extension, it should be absolutely flat, perpendicular, and have a sharp edge, not rounded or blunted, and it should be almost shiny smooth! If it's out of spec, it may only "Slide" over the trigger when released instead of that very pronounced snap of the firing pin being driven forward!

Did you manage to get lube inside your bolt? I did that to a couple rifles and they would light strike fairly often until I cleaned them out

Adjust a little bit more over travel into the trigger. Sounds like the cocking piece on the bolt is dragging on the sear and slowing down the firing pin travel. More over travel in the trigger might allow the sear to drop fully out of the path of the cocking piece.

Bolt cocks on closure
If trigger releases firing pin and it doesn't go bang, did you disassemble the bolt and file down the firing pin?

how much protrusion does the firing pin have outside of the bolt?

Honest;
Does this have anything to do with this thread:

Will answer in random fashion:
1. Factory barrel
2. Functioned previously with Jewel trigger, bolt cocked on closure
3. Associated with previous post. First post was to share a method to take down bolt
4. Could resell and buy 2 (two) Savage as this is a Remington VLS model
5. No headspace problem, unless "just" happened
6. It sets at half-cock, there is some bolt-firing pin mechanism movement when trigger is pulled
7. Will examine underside of bolt
8. Will adjust seer set screw on Jewel trigger
9. Will confirm firing pin protrusion ( Inserted problem bolt in second Rem 700 .223 and fired primed brass. Second rifle has Timney trigger) Have not filed firing pin length
10. Cleaned factory grease from disassembled bolt and oiled lightly, still not functioning properly
11. Did try second bolt in Rem 700 VLS with Jewel trigger, using primed brass. Very light pin strike. Not enough to fire primer. Conclusion is I have a seer problem with Jewel trigger.
Appreciate the will counsel and offers of insights. Will examine seer and keep you posted.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews