JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Remington 700 ADL that is my hunting rifle. Its nothing fancy but it works great for me. I like to modify my firearms, just something I am into. I decided to send out my bolt to have it fluted, I just personally really like the look.

So I packaged it up and dropped it off at my office buildings mail center 2 days ago. I looked up the tracking number today and NOTHING, not a single scan. Not even a initial pickup scan. So I go down and talk to the people and they remember me dropping it off and they are swearing up and down it went out. Well if it went out 2 days ago, then today would of been the delivery date and they did not receive it in their mail shipment today.

What do I do at this point? I cant just buy a bolt and drop it in can I? It need to be fit to the barrel and headspaced correct?

I guess if my bolt truley is lost, would I be better off just buying a new rifle since this was a low end rifle to begin with?

I have a Remington 700 ADL that is my hunting rifle. Its nothing fancy but it works great for me. I like to modify my firearms, just something I am into. I decided to send out my bolt to have it fluted, I just personally really like the look.

So I packaged it up and dropped it off at my office buildings mail center 2 days ago. I looked up the tracking number today and NOTHING, not a single scan. Not even a initial pickup scan. So I go down and talk to the people and they remember me dropping it off and they are swearing up and down it went out. Well if it went out 2 days ago, then today would of been the delivery date and they did not receive it in their mail shipment today.

What do I do at this point? I cant just buy a bolt and drop it in can I? It need to be fit to the barrel and headspaced correct?

I guess if my bolt truley is lost, would I be better off just buying a new rifle since this was a low end rifle to begin with?
Use the insurance money to buy new bolt.

There is no proof up actual package pickup so I can not file an insurance claim though USPS. In their eyes I never shipped the package.

My tracking info states:
October 19, 2015 - Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS
The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on October 19, 2015 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if/when available.

It has been found, the package tracking just updated and its on the wrong side of the county, but oh well thats better than being lost. So its in transit now to its destination.

Minor freak out is over haha :eek:

To answer the technical part of what would have needed to have been done if it had been lost.

First, Rem 700 bolts have gotten expensive, but still less so than an entire rifle. I had to buy a magnum bolt the other day and paid over $150 for the complete bolt.

Next, bolts technically aren't drop in parts, so they will need fitting. This can mean a number of things. The most obvious that comes to mind is headspace. That should be checked first. But you also have to check lug engagement. On the gun that I had to replace the bolt on, the headspace passed, but there was very little lug engagement. I needed to lap in the lugs until I had contact on both surfaces. Then headspace has to be rechecked. Once that's done, check for extractor and ejector function on some dummy rounds and you should be good. If headspace is too much at any point, then it gets really fun as barrels need to be removed and set back and chambers recut.

Anyhow, glad they found your bolt. Much easier than replacing it!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top