1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 700 ADL to BDL?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by cbzdel, Sep 18, 2014.

1. cbzdel

cbzdel Tacoma, WA Member

It was maybe 7 or 8 years ago I bought a Remington 700 ADL chambered in 30.06. Its been a great rifle, plenty accurate and I have been overall very happy with it. Though right now it is back at Remington for the trigger recall and I may be missing hunting season this year.

I bought this rifle as an entry level rifle and expected to upgrade later, thing is I have not found a reason to upgrade. Its a synthetic stock with a blued finish, lots of scratches from heavy brush. My only complaint is that I have to rack the bolt to unload the rifle, I just don't like that aspect at all from a safety standpoint.

I have seen for a couple hundred bucks you can buy the components to change the stock and mag well from an ADL to a BDL which would eliminate the one item that I do not like about this rifle. Would something like this be worth it? Would it be worth it to upgrade to a stock other than factory for a conversion such as this? Or in a case like this would it be better to just leave it be and if I want something different that bad then trade the rifle in?
  2. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Everything depends on your budget. The bottom metal, magazine box, and related components can be had for $160 from brownells. The stock could either be someone's take-off that you get at a gun show or ebay, or you could upgrade to a Boyds or some other stock.

I prefer the BDL guns. I don't like to have to run my ammo through the gun to unload. If I built a high recoiling dangerous game rifle on a 700 receiver for some reason, I would go with an ADL, as there is no floorplate to come unhinged and drop all your ammo under recoil...