Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Remington 700 ADL to BDL?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by cbzdel, Sep 18, 2014.

1. cbzdel

cbzdel Tacoma, WA Member

It was maybe 7 or 8 years ago I bought a Remington 700 ADL chambered in 30.06. Its been a great rifle, plenty accurate and I have been overall very happy with it. Though right now it is back at Remington for the trigger recall and I may be missing hunting season this year.

I bought this rifle as an entry level rifle and expected to upgrade later, thing is I have not found a reason to upgrade. Its a synthetic stock with a blued finish, lots of scratches from heavy brush. My only complaint is that I have to rack the bolt to unload the rifle, I just don't like that aspect at all from a safety standpoint.

I have seen for a couple hundred bucks you can buy the components to change the stock and mag well from an ADL to a BDL which would eliminate the one item that I do not like about this rifle. Would something like this be worth it? Would it be worth it to upgrade to a stock other than factory for a conversion such as this? Or in a case like this would it be better to just leave it be and if I want something different that bad then trade the rifle in?

2. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Everything depends on your budget. The bottom metal, magazine box, and related components can be had for $160 from brownells. The stock could either be someone's take-off that you get at a gun show or ebay, or you could upgrade to a Boyds or some other stock.

I prefer the BDL guns. I don't like to have to run my ammo through the gun to unload. If I built a high recoiling dangerous game rifle on a 700 receiver for some reason, I would go with an ADL, as there is no floorplate to come unhinged and drop all your ammo under recoil...