JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
just got a 700ADL. any worthwhile budget upgrades? stocks make any difference?
just a interesting find. Remington stuffs a small piece of packing foam in the stock, that little piece makes a big difference in how the stock sounds when tapping on it. sounds hollow without that loose piece of foam.

What are you using it for?
honestly? looking at it, storing it in a safe, shooting at the range, and if I ever do any hunting (Im a suburbs kid who grew up in a state with heavy gun regulations and no game to shoot anyway) I know I want to get rid of the ADL blind magazine for sure. I would have waited for another model with a hinged floor plate but, with 114 I didn't think there was any time left.
Im probably going to do a stock, and mag or BDL conversion. I like the conventional look over a MAGPUL or, similar chassis.

I always recommend installing a 20 minute scope base. You may not really need it, but should you want to go for some 'distance' down the road, you will be set up for it. Additionally, it saves some of the 'travel' available on your scope.

A decent trigger, & a decent scope. & lots of ammo. The stock is the last thing I would change or worry about. Maybe try your hand at glass bedding?

Last Edited:
The only good thing about a floorplate is easy unloading. In all other aspects a blind magazine is superior.
Superior is an opinion, one you're certainly entitled to, @osprey, and I'd like to hear the reasons behind your opinion.
My opinion is opposite. I'm not a Remington 700 fan/user, but with a good floorplate, one that will not open by itself at an inopportune time like found on my Ruger 77MKII, being able to dump the cartridges into my hand instead of having to run each one (mostly) thru the chamber is a huge blessing. My old Winchesters are this way, also. Some floorplate latch designs are crappy and prone to opening "by themselves". It all comes down to the style.
I've heard that blind mag guns may be more stable and accurate because of that. In this instance I've never had one to compare to, but my rifle is way more accurate than I am!
I'm also not much of a removeable mag fan when it comes to hunting rifles. Losing the mag just turned the rifle into a difficult to load single shot. Difficult because the cartridge will try to fall out of the bottom when you're trying to load it!

I've owned Hogue stocks and absolutely love them when it's cold and wet out. The ones with the full length bedding block are remarkably stiff, but a shade heavy. No complaints with the pillar bedded version. They also don't "sound" too bad when bumped into something. I changed back to wood because I I prefer the look, plus I was able to get a cheek rest that makes the rifle fit me better.

Superior is an opinion, one you're certainly entitled to, @osprey, and I'd like to hear the reasons behind your opinion.
My opinion is opposite. I'm not a Remington 700 fan/user, but with a good floorplate, one that will not open by itself at an inopportune time like found on my Ruger 77MKII, being able to dump the cartridges into my hand instead of having to run each one (mostly) thru the chamber is a huge blessing. My old Winchesters are this way, also. Some floorplate latch designs are crappy and prone to opening "by themselves". It all comes down to the style.
I've heard that blind mag guns may be more stable and accurate because of that. In this instance I've never had one to compare to, but my rifle is way more accurate than I am!
I'm also not much of a removeable mag fan when it comes to hunting rifles. Losing the mag just turned the rifle into a difficult to load single shot. Difficult because the cartridge will try to fall out of the bottom when you're trying to load it!

I've owned Hogue stocks and absolutely love them when it's cold and wet out. The ones with the full length bedding block are remarkably stiff, but a shade heavy. No complaints with the pillar bedded version. They also don't "sound" too bad when bumped into something. I changed back to wood because I I prefer the look, plus I was able to get a cheek rest that makes the rifle fit me better.
Yes, It is my opinion that blind magazines are superior in every way to a floorplate, except being able to conveniently unload the rifle. Simplicity, rigidity, weight savings, and no chance of dumping a magazine full of cartridges into the snow, priceless!
African guides would often pin the floorplates shut on their rifles to prevent dropping a load in a bad situation. Blind mags may not be everybody's cup of tea but I found the upsides definitely trump the unloading inconvenience, especially in a dangerous game rifle or a light weight mountain rifle. As always YMMV.

Last Edited:
Don't change anything yet. Use it until you need it to do something that it isn't good for, or find something you don't like about it, then fix that.

OK to ADD things, like scope and mount, but don't CHANGE something until it NEEDS changing.

Bruce

Don't change anything yet. Use it until you need it to do something that it isn't good for, or find something you don't like about it, then fix that.

OK to ADD things, like scope and mount, but don't CHANGE something until it NEEDS changing.

Bruce
I do have a limbsaver pad on it, seems much better than the factory foam, got a scope mounted, I'm just looking at it right now anyway lol.

Wow, that internal mag is tricky to load. you can actually put rounds in the magazine so far back the bolt won't load the round.
first time shooting it today. I was expecting more recoil than my 45-70 but, it's actually a whole lot less!
i was chronographing some loads and factory loads. 2950 for Winchester 150 soft points.
went up to 59gr h3450 and got a little more than that with 150gr SST's

I've had feeding problems with a Kimber, but I've never heard of an internal mag letting rounds go far enough back that the bolt won't feed them. If it seems like the bullets have a lot of extra room in the mag, maybe it's missing a spacer at the rear, which would be there to eliminate this condition. I don't know enough about 700s specifically, but Winchester used to do something like I described, then used a bolt stop that limited travel on long action guns with short action cartridges.

Maybe some 700 fan could chime in?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads