Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Remington 6 1/2 primers in an AR?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by evltwn, Feb 14, 2013.

1. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Guys, I finally went to the dark (actually, black) side and got a Colt 6920LE. With components being hard to find, I bought a box of Remington 6 1/2 primers from a fellow Bullseye shooter. But Remington, on their website, says they are not suitable for use in a .223. I have seen conflicting opinions about flame cutting bolts, blown out primers, and on the other side of the coin, they are fine if pressures are kept below 55000 CUP, "I've used them for years", yada yada yada.

So, can I use them in my sweet new M-4 or not? If not, can I use them in pistol rounds? Yikes, I don't want to hurt my Colt!

2. ridnjon

ridnjon vancouver wa Active Member

I would not, the walls are really thin and you can damage yor Bcg or firing pin. This is just a example of what piercing the primer could do.

DBF8BAA4-975C-4534-AD91-BF7742F28D71-1155-00000144B59A5513_zpsbe14e522.jpg

3. SinisterSouthpaw

SinisterSouthpaw SW WA Active Member

4. evltwn

ridnjon and (deleted member) like this.
  5. ridnjon

ridnjon vancouver wa Active Member

Just use caution on using them. They are a thinner cup.

6. evltwn

Remington specifically warns against using them in .223...maybe they are on to something...

7. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

So a 6 1/2 is listed as the only small rifle primer they make. But it is not suitable for use in ANY .223? I am confused especially considering that is probably one of the most commonly reloaded round that uses that primer.

8. evltwn

Well, they put the warning on their site, and upon closer examination, on the box of primers. But I believe their 7 1/2 will work.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  9. ma96782

ma96782 Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Please note:

Aloha, Mark

10. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

That's not from pierced primers, that's from excessive leakage around the primer cup itself. Loose Primer pocket, excessive pressure, etc.

If the primer was pierced there would be damage around the firing pin hole. From the looks of the ejector, there might have been lots of extra pressure.

11. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

I know the OP has the 6-1/2's and would like to use them but if it were me, I'd look for a trade into some more suitable primers. CCI SRP's are better. Have personally had great luck with the Wolf/Tula .223 Primers. Good luck on finding any of any kind right now.

12. evltwn

I was able to trade 3k small pistol primers for winchester and CCI small rifle primers. Will try to sell the Remington 6 1/2s, but will offer a disclaimer in the ad. Wish the seller had done so for me. Also, I should have read the danced box!