JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Guys, I finally went to the dark (actually, black) side and got a Colt 6920LE. With components being hard to find, I bought a box of Remington 6 1/2 primers from a fellow Bullseye shooter. But Remington, on their website, says they are not suitable for use in a .223. I have seen conflicting opinions about flame cutting bolts, blown out primers, and on the other side of the coin, they are fine if pressures are kept below 55000 CUP, "I've used them for years", yada yada yada.

So, can I use them in my sweet new M-4 or not? If not, can I use them in pistol rounds? Yikes, I don't want to hurt my Colt!

I would not, the walls are really thin and you can damage yor Bcg or firing pin. This is just a example of what piercing the primer could do.

DBF8BAA4-975C-4534-AD91-BF7742F28D71-1155-00000144B59A5513_zpsbe14e522.jpg

So a 6 1/2 is listed as the only small rifle primer they make. But it is not suitable for use in ANY .223? I am confused especially considering that is probably one of the most commonly reloaded round that uses that primer.

Please note:

Taken off of the old Rem website.

http://remington.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/167

In pistol cartridges, the 1-1/2 small pistol primer should not be used in the 357 Magnum, 357 SIG or the 40 S&W. The 5-1/2 small pistol primer is the proper selection for these rounds.

In rifle cartridges, the 6-1/2 small rifle primer should not be used in the 17 Remington, 222 Remington or the 223 Remington. The 7-1/2 BR is the proper small rifle primer for these rounds.

Warning: When primers are selected incorrectly, misfires, damage to your firearm, and/or personal injury may occur. Visit the ballistics tables on our website. Recommended primers for each rifle and pistol cartridge are listed in these tables.

Aloha, Mark

I would not, the walls are really thin and you can damage yor Bcg or firing pin. This is just a example of what piercing the primer could do.

DBF8BAA4-975C-4534-AD91-BF7742F28D71-1155-00000144B59A5513_zpsbe14e522.jpg

That's not from pierced primers, that's from excessive leakage around the primer cup itself. Loose Primer pocket, excessive pressure, etc.

If the primer was pierced there would be damage around the firing pin hole. From the looks of the ejector, there might have been lots of extra pressure.

So a 6 1/2 is listed as the only small rifle primer they make. But it is not suitable for use in ANY .223? I am confused especially considering that is probably one of the most commonly reloaded round that uses that primer.

I know the OP has the 6-1/2's and would like to use them but if it were me, I'd look for a trade into some more suitable primers. CCI SRP's are better. Have personally had great luck with the Wolf/Tula .223 Primers. Good luck on finding any of any kind right now.

I was able to trade 3k small pistol primers for winchester and CCI small rifle primers. Will try to sell the Remington 6 1/2s, but will offer a disclaimer in the ad. Wish the seller had done so for me. Also, I should have read the danced box!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top