JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
HI all,
My first time to post so hope I don't miss any protocall. I Live in the beautiful Willamette Valley and enjoy enjoy shooting whenever I get the chance. Grew up with guns and want to pass that on to my own family, hopefully for many generations to come. I enjoy all firearms but am mostly interested in things that have some older history attatched to them.
Question: Recently a Remington 550-1 came to me and I've been enjoying it very much. First 500 or so rounds, no problem. Then it started jamming really bad, like every other shot! It always ejects the old shell just fine and the new one is not jammed either. The bolt sticks back and I have to pull it back the rest of the way. This frees it to move forward and load the fresh cartridge. I've noticed that a few times even after I've unjammed the bolt and the new round is in, it still isn't cocked even after going through the full cycle (albeit manualy) and I have to pull back on the bolt, eject the good round and chamber another. I've given it a basic clean but the problem still persists. Sure would like to get it up working. It's a fine little rifle. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Only a superficial clean. Nothing too deep. Maybe that's the next thing, to do a full takedown and see what kind of grime is in there. i've been hesitant to do that because I've heard of a lot of 550's being ruined because the sear cap is difficult to replace without damaging it.

I have the same issue with mine. I took it back to the shop I got it from and the guy there is telling me that the recoiling chamber is hanging onto the spent case and not allowing the rifle to fully cock. I too have to cycle another fresh round to get it to fire. Sure hope that fixes the problem because of how accurate the rifle is.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top