JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
theres two sides.
on one side, are the people who absolutely believe them to be junk; and wont waste time with them.... on the other, are people who think they're good for the prices; even if the Savage series have a better reputation. the 770 is based on the 710; but supposedly improved...it's Remington's budget hunting rifle; they're OK..I have one for 30-06, long action, I think the magazine will hold 3, maybe 4 rounds of the 300 win mag; I know mine holds 4 30-06 rounds. the bolt is not the smoothest out there, but construction of it is very similar to the 700, just with 3 lugs and some plastic pieces in the rear, the trigger group has some plastic in it, also, I think the action's operating surfaces are teflon coated, so spray-silicon lube is the way to go, the bolt itself is steel; barrel is OK...a little on the thin side but it works. the scope it comes equipped with is also decent, maybe not the best but its not the worst. :) alot of people here would say save up the coin and get the Savage 110 or versions thereof.

is there anything wrong with that? I mean....in most cases, if you ruin a barrel, you end up replacing the whole thing, the 770 series are not meant to be like the 700 in terms of having replacement parts all around, but rather, a simple entry-level "disposable" rifle. if your goal is to replace a Barrel with something for your type of shooting, the 770 is NOT what you are looking for. in the same vein, if your goal includes having "tactical" stocks and accessories and other doodads, the 770 again is NOT the one you want to start with. but most people already are going for the 700 series for everything I just mentioned; Remington saw no need to make the 770 as versatile as the 700 in terms of adaptability and parts replacements, but they did something good with the 770 in having it start as a detachable box magazine rifle with a scope already installed. no it is not top shelf quality; but what are you expecting for something under $300 retail to start with?

I'm a machinist by education, I have a book on :"world class manufacturing" which fits what Remington is doing; I didn't buy my 770 on the mistaken assumption that it'll be like a 700; I did the homework on it and decided it will fill my need for a 30 caliber rifle for large game and general shooting, rather than a battle rifle for my budget of $200 at the time, I got it out of a pawn store 200 OTD; and am happy with it, as it will help me get my shooting skills and basic stuff before I get myself a battle rifle/semi auto type....the same line of reasoning got me the Hi Point 45 pistol and Maverick 88 field gun; the cheap 3 to start my shooting skills with and practice with, and not worry if they get stolen, plus lifetime warranty on the HP pistol, and ease of replacement parts for the Maverick....until i get a job that is; and that job will eventually enable me to start actualizing my gun lusts :D
to the OP; what are your goals?

i shoot a rem 22-250 most of the time, coyotes are my passion, but i had a chance to shoot a bear last year and had to borrow the rifle to make sure i had a clean kill. i would only use the rifle for bear maybe a large black tail, the gun i am looking at is used and is only 280.00 although i do like the.308 i already have the powder and reload data. hey i just answered my own question hahahaha.

This is just my $.02

I was an avid bowhunter and had dropped a ton of money on my bow and setup. When I decided I wanted to "try" rifle hunting I compromised with my wife that I would start with something inexpensive to start. So I bought a 770 in .270. Took it out the first day I got it and dialed in the scope...only needed 3 bullets to get it set.

Since then I have personally killed 4 bucks and 1 5x5 elk at 140yds (single shot). My buddy also got a clean kill on a 3x3 blacktail, he used my rifle because he was carrying an open sight 30-30 and couldn't get in close enough. My $300 rifle has more confirmed kills than most of my buddies do with their $1000+ show pieces.

So I have been very satisfied with my 770, never had a jam regardless of ammo I have tried. And i don't worry about setting it down and gettin' it a bit dirty.

My opinion is this, if you want a good inexpensive reliable gun and don't have a ton of money go for it.

If you can pony up the money look at a Rem 700. I have several and all have been pillar beded. The worst group I have with hand loads is 1.5 inches at 100 yards with most at 1". Mayhbe you could find one on the cheep that has a scared up stock and consider a new stock and bedding.

Last Edited:
No real first hand experience with the 770 but my father-in-law has a 710 and my only complaint is the bolt throw, on a quick follow-up shot I personally had a problem smoothly cycling the bolt. While this would be remedied with practice on the gun I just couldn't get used to it. I handled the 770 and found the bolt better but still sticky. For fit and feel the 770 is nicer than a Savage Edge/Axis but the Savage has a much smoother throw. That being said I own 8 Savage rifles and you can find the 110/10 series for $300 if you decide to go that way. In the end it's all what you are wanting and happy with at your price point.

i shoot a rem 22-250 most of the time, coyotes are my passion, but i had a chance to shoot a bear last year and had to borrow the rifle to make sure i had a clean kill. i would only use the rifle for bear maybe a large black tail, the gun i am looking at is used and is only 280.00 although i do like the.308 i already have the powder and reload data. hey i just answered my own question hahahaha.

for $280, Dont get the 770. cabela's and Dick's and Big-5 was selling them NEW at $299! for that price, I strongly suggest a Savage or used Win 70. I don;t know if there are any used 700s for under 400...much less under 300.

This is just my $.02

When I decided I wanted to "try" rifle hunting I compromised with my wife that I would start with something inexpensive to start. So I bought a 770 in .270. Took it out the first day I got it and dialed in the scope...only needed 3 bullets to get it set.

My $300 rifle has more confirmed kills than most of my buddies do with their $1000+ show pieces.

So I have been very satisfied with my 770, never had a jam regardless of ammo I have tried. And i don't worry about setting it down and gettin' it a bit dirty.

My opinion is this, if you want a good inexpensive reliable gun and don't have a ton of money go for it.

This is my experience with the rifle other than the actual hunting part. I actually bought the rifle as a cheap starter and I have zeroed it in once with about 6 rounds (2 3 shot groups) and it's been great. As for sticky bolts that people complain about, it does smooth out after use.

The 770 is ready to go out of the box Factory mounted and bore-sighted 3-9x40mm scope Bushnell. Same scope new is around $50.
So if you are looking for something as price competitive you have to figure in that extra cost unless you find a used one that includes a scope.

I have noticed the last couple years as it gets closer to Xmas that Remington has offered a $50 rebate on the 770. So if you buy at Walmart for $369.00 (last price i saw) and get the $50 rebate...that is a good deal for a quality rifle.

I looked at literally hundreds of used rifles before i bought my 770 and just couldn't find a used rifle in good condition that was under $400 bucks.

Don't get me wrong I know this is not the "best" gun on the market, but at the price point it might be.

Not sure if you have a Sport's Authority close to you or if they have the same pricing. Like I said my local one sells the 700 with a scope for $385 but it is the SPS stock and not something fancier. I keep threatening to go in and buy one but I get sidetracked with an AK I just bought and getting parts for my MSAR since they went under.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top