JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Red dot on a shotgun?

• Yes, I shoot a red dot on my shotgun.

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • I would consider a red dot on a shotgun.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Only in select circumstances.

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • I would not consider a red dot for a shotgun.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Who need to aim/point a shotgun the spread'll get em.

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
I have an Aimpoint T-1 Micro in Aridus CROM on my 1301 and would not hesitate to put the same thing on 870 but it is not a priority as I'm focused on other expenditures and it has a Big Dot Tritium front sight coupled with a Vang Comp barrel and is amazing accurate with that setup.

For hunting, I would worry about not having a stable cheek weld with a standard red dot tube type optic mounted high off the rail. Shotgun shooting at game birds is a swinging technique not a pointing technique and requires a stable cheek weld with a view down the rib... swinging, esp with the pistol grip shown might cause the dot to wobble all over.

That said, I do know some shooters the are successful with a rifle snap shot technique rather than the traditional shotgun swing.

I don't think I could change over if I was still hunting bird.
That is why you want a mount like an Aridus CROM or Scalarworks SYNC.

That is why you want a mount like an Aridus CROM or Scalarworks SYNC.
Well of course you would... whatever those are. LOL ;)

Nah, I have a reflex optic on my Moss 500 combat gun and it works well for that purpose. I can't see a reason to change to a tube red dot optic.

And for bird hunting, I would have preferred the old fashioned O/U over any other.

Last Edited:
Really?

So most modern shotguns look like technowar tactical plastic guns... hmmm, who knew???
IMG_2116.jpg

Not even the tactial ones, alot of sporting shotguns lets you adjust the stock to your face. They ship with shim kits

I looked at a few websites of outlets that sell shotguns, MOST of the ones with an actual adjustable COMB were Bennelli tacticool guns and a very few hunting or trap. The great preponderance of shotguns for sale were still Rem 870 form factor.

As far as the website you provided, we better define our terminology... those were to adjust the STOCK which incidentally can adjust the comb height somewhat. THIS is an adjustable comb:

1648152566357.png

And there were indeed a FEW of those.... def NOT MOST. But hey, I don't hunt anymore so what do I know???

I looked at a few websites of outlets that sell shotguns, MOST of the ones with an actual adjustable COMB were Bennelli tacticool guns and a very few hunting or trap. The great preponderance of shotguns for sale were still Rem 870 form factor.

As far as the website you provided, we better define our terminology... those were to adjust the STOCK which incidentally can adjust the comb height somewhat. THIS is an adjustable comb:

View attachment 1162293

And there were indeed a FEW of those.... def NOT MOST. But hey, I don't hunt anymore so what do I know???
Gottcha, my mistake. Im not much of a shotgun shooter my bad

I don't think you need an optic on a shotgun necessarily, but I happened to have an extra trijicon reflex and the shotgun had a rail so tried it out. Actually like it a lot and so did the daughter so now it's there to stay till the Tritium burns out in 15 years or so prolly be her shotgun before then 😆.

Curious everyone's through on red dots becoming more accepted on shotguns? I think its just another progression as it offers the same advantages as a red dot does on a rifle or pistol. I understand its not everyone's thing but i'm curious what everyone's exposure is like.

For me a shotgun is a hunting tool (HD is a rifle) I've been very pleased with the results since mounting a dot. I feel I've taken more game successfully with it.

Although I voted that I shoot with a red dot, it's not strictly a dot (because I have astigmatism) - it's a prism sight. But yes, I have one mounted on my SXP Extreme Defender.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top