JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am an avid outdoor shooter, hardly spend 1% of my time at an indoor shooting range

I recently visited Brown's Camp quarry and I live by the motto leave it cleaner than you found it. That being said I have approximately 5lbs of brass I need to recycle/dispose.

Are there any places that offer cash for recycled brass? Far west recycling in NE PDX offers $0.09 per pound for scrap metal that's half of what I would get when I lived in Nevada or Missouri during my military contract days. With my 5lb bucket that's 45 cents for a clean up effort that took about an hour.

Wondering if any place offers same services just for brass and if so where.

I was taught to police my brass, trying to pass that on to the next generation of shooters

IF YOU CHOOSE TO GRIPE AT THIS QUESTION, Take your fingers off your keyboard and head over to Brown's Camp and help with the clean up effort instead keyboard warrior!

I am surprised no places up here collaborate with the community to incentivize recycling factory brass responsibly like other states do

image.jpg

Looks like some steel cases there on top. It's probably nine Pennie's unsorted as shown, semi-clean brass will likely be a bit more.

Don't justify your efforts by how much money you get out of it, that defeats your stated purpose of setting a good example and leaving our property better than you found it. Kudos!

Looks like some steel cases there on top. It's probably nine Pennie's unsorted as shown, semi-clean brass will likely be a bit more.

Don't justify your efforts by how much money you get out of it, that defeats your stated purpose of setting a good example and leaving our property better than you found it. Kudos!
Hi @Heyjoe,

Thanks for the response, lousy job on my part with the initial post. This isn't about getting the pennies back for my efforts.

From all the places I called, they were the only ones in the area to call back or confirm they do recycle brass. This lead me to believe others won't even bother taking it.

Looking to see if someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Honestly to know only 1 place in the entire PDX metro is willing to take brass would be disappointing, that's all. Clean up efforts are needed at our outdoor shooting spots.

The most restricted state CA has a clean up incentive for factory brass for $0.30 cents a pound keeping outdoor shooting ranges open and they manage to make it work. Not griping but I was taken back by being the open person there policing my brass with my 11 year old.

If that's the state norm, that's no surprise place that like are a common place for complaints by environmentalists who hike in and around the area

Last Edited:
Good job on cleaning up. I would take a magnet and pull any steel out of it, as well as any aluminum, and toss that in the trash. The brass I'd let accumulate in a bucket in the garage until you have a 5-gallon bucket full or so. There are a number of scrap yards in the Portland area that should pay you close to a couple bucks per pound for it, so long as the non-brass stuff is sorted out.

If there's good reloadable brass in there, reloaders would be interested too, but probably not for just a few pounds of common stuff like 9mm.

ADDED- the steel and aluminum can be recycled too, but it would take an awful lot to add up to anything worth messing with.

Hi @Heyjoe,

Thanks for the response, lousy job on my part with the initial post. This isn't about getting the pennies back for my efforts.

From all the places I called, they were the only ones in the area to call back or confirm they do recycle brass. This lead me to believe others won't even bother taking it.

Looking to see if someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Honestly to know only 1 place in the entire PDX metro is willing to take brass would be disappointing, that's all. Clean up efforts are needed at our outdoor shooting spots.

The most restricted state CA has a clean up incentive for factory brass for $0.30 cents a pound keeping outdoor shooting ranges open and they manage to make it work. Not griping but I was taken back by being the open person there policing my brass with my 11 year old.

If that's the state norm, that's no surprise place that like are a common place for complaints by environmentalists who hike in and around the area
I can't help recommending a place in your area but I'll bet any scrap steel recycler near you will absolutely buy it. Unfortunately scrapyards aren't in the business of outstanding customer service and I'm surprised ANY of them called you back.

Again, kudos to you for doing your part- it does make a difference, man. Thank you!

Good job on cleaning up. I would take a magnet and pull any steel out of it, as well as any aluminum, and toss that in the trash. The brass I'd let accumulate in a bucket in the garage until you have a 5-gallon bucket full or so. There are a number of scrap yards in the Portland area that should pay you close to a couple bucks per pound for it, so long as the non-brass stuff is sorted out.

If there's good reloadable brass in there, reloaders would be interested too, but probably not for just a few pounds of common stuff like 9mm.
Hi @CLT65,

Ironically enough we have a large magnet. It belongs to my 11 year old. Instead of a metal detector he uses the magnet to pick up his brass.

I will continue to motivate him to pick up his brass and others until our 5 gallon Home Depot bucket is full. A couple of bucks per pound would go a long way towards funding his next brick of 22lr for his TX22

Thank you for cleaning up. Most folks on here don't!
Hi @fstdraw,

Thanks for your response, I will emphasize that I am not bashing anyone, I am simply stating my outlook.

Brown's camp is well overdue for a clean up. The 5lbs we picked up took well over 1 hour with a giant magnet, my question is simple, does anyone in the state of OR offer higher incentive for better clean up?

I think Jones creek in WA has a more organized group for clean up? I am simply asking if OR offers the same in the state.

RC Davis Recycling on SE Orient Drive buys clean brass, but I have an account at Metro Metals on Columbia Blvd, so I go there as it's more convenient for me.

28425 SE Orient Dr, Gresham, OR 97080

Hi @fstdraw,

Thanks for your response, I will emphasize that I am not bashing anyone, I am simply stating my outlook.

Brown's camp is well overdue for a clean up. The 5lbs we picked up took well over 1 hour with a giant magnet, my question is simple, does anyone in the state of OR offer higher incentive for better clean up?

I think Jones creek in WA has a more organized group for clean up? I am simply asking if OR offers the same in the state.
Maybe @Cogs can weigh in on this with some info.

Hi @fstdraw,

Maybe @Cogs can weigh in on this with some info.
Nope. It's all up to us, the users. Trash No Land does do 7 to 8 large group cleanups throughout spring, summer & fall, but those are spread out between several places in Oregon and Washington. There won't be any more TNL cleanups till next spring.

What we need is a few people to give a shout out for help and meet up to do a cleanup and shoot. That needs to happen at each place every couple months or so.

Otherwise, don't count on any group or organization come take care of it on any regular basis. It's supposed to be maintained by the users. But if we don't maintain it, we'll probably loose it.

Bill

The steel cases have very little value. Some recyclers won't take steel, and those that will sometimes have a 100 pound minimum or similar.

Scrap cartridge brass at this time in this area pays + / - $1.75 a pound. So even if you had all brass in that bucket, it wouldn't be worth a whole lot. You've got to think about the fuel to get to and from the recycling site. Save it up for larger quantities. The problem with saving it is, prices paid fluctuate.

Range brass that has lain out in the weather for a long time, walked on, etc. isn't popular with reloaders.

Good work cleaning up that area.

I am an avid outdoor shooter, hardly spend 1% of my time at an indoor shooting range

I recently visited Brown's Camp quarry and I live by the motto leave it cleaner than you found it. That being said I have approximately 5lbs of brass I need to recycle/dispose.

Are there any places that offer cash for recycled brass? Far west recycling in NE PDX offers $0.09 per pound for scrap metal that's half of what I would get when I lived in Nevada or Missouri during my military contract days. With my 5lb bucket that's 45 cents for a clean up effort that took about an hour.

Wondering if any place offers same services just for brass and if so where.

I was taught to police my brass, trying to pass that on to the next generation of shooters

IF YOU CHOOSE TO GRIPE AT THIS QUESTION, Take your fingers off your keyboard and head over to Brown's Camp and help with the clean up effort instead keyboard warrior!

I am surprised no places up here collaborate with the community to incentivize recycling factory brass responsibly like other states do

View attachment 1746539
On a quick Google search: Brass recycle price portland oregon, I see the price at from $1.60 to $1.80 per pound. I haven't taken any brass in for scrap, but I do take copper to R.S. Davis Recycling in Clackamas. I don't see their brass prices on their website, so you'd have to call.

As for the magnet, it won't pick up brass. It will get the metal casings, along with nails and any other metal, but not brass. That's a hand pick thing.
We picked up all these casings with a magnet. Ended up with about 10+ 5 gallon buckets! If they were brass, we'd be rich! But they were all metal.
pKgsoVHy.jpeg

Cherry city metals is right around $2 a pound . I clean public ranges also. I just scrapped 63 pounds of 9mm and crushed cases . I received $120. This is in salem I hear portland scrap yards pay more

Hi @CLT65,

Ironically enough we have a large magnet. It belongs to my 11 year old. Instead of a metal detector he uses the magnet to pick up his brass.

I will continue to motivate him to pick up his brass and others until our 5 gallon Home Depot bucket is full. A couple of bucks per pound would go a long way towards funding his next brick of 22lr for his TX22
Wow….what kind of magnet picks up brass?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews