JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I find the 327 intriguing. Just like I thought of the 32 H&R Mag. Both of these are powerful cartridges for their bore size. But the 357 they are not.
If I was looking for a revolver cartridge to use for defense against a two legged or smaller 4 legged adversary, I think a 327 would be nearly perfect. Against anything bigger I believe the mass of the bullet plays a big role in the outcome of the shot. Second to shot placement, that is.
"Everyone knows" (quotations indicate sarcasm) that the 357 Mag can also shoot 38 Special cartridges. Being able to shop for 2 common cartridges makes it more likely you're going shooting this weekend than shopping of a couple of semi odd-ball cartridges.
If one reloads then most of this "info" can be tossed out the window.

I find the 327 intriguing. Just like I thought of the 32 H&R Mag. Both of these are powerful cartridges for their bore size. But the 357 they are not.
If I was looking for a revolver cartridge to use for defense against a two legged or smaller 4 legged adversary, I think a 327 would be nearly perfect. Against anything bigger I believe the mass of the bullet plays a big role in the outcome of the shot. Second to shot placement, that is.
"Everyone knows" (quotations indicate sarcasm) that the 357 Mag can also shoot 38 Special cartridges. Being able to shop for 2 common cartridges makes it more likely you're going shooting this weekend than shopping of a couple of semi odd-ball cartridges.
If one reloads then most of this "info" can be tossed out the window.
I think the 327 is the model #, not the caliber. But what confuses me is any reference I can find the R8 and the TRR8 are the same thing. The 327 is a 3 inch and the TRR8 is a 5 inch. Both are 8 round 357 mag

I purchased the R8 with 5" barrel. The TRR8 is also a 5" barrel without a permanent rail, where the R8 is affixed. Both rare birds. There is a 327 snub noise as well. thx.

good call elsie....

don't need everyone to get confused on S&W model numbers....that's why they
spent so much time polishing it up for easy understanding by market....

Just so no one loses track & thinks the Model 357 isn't really a 41 mag....

The old models 57 & 58 were different versions of that 41 mag;
The models 27 & 28 were 38/357. Add stainless steel frame & one become 627/38~357 cal. Add a lighter alloy frame instead, model becomes "327" in caliber 38~357.

eta: oh, and the 27/28 were 6 shot revolvers while the 627/327 are 8.
eta again: oh, wanna talk 'frame sizes' as identified by model #???

There will be a test following the lecture.....

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads