JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If your Kia is All Wheel Drive you should be fine with "All Weather" tires 95% of the time and the other 5% you should probably stay home.;)
Lol and after my sister got into a accident in her KIA soul and the airbags didn't work you should probably stay home until you get a new car rain or shine lol JUST SAYING

10239.jpeg don't txt and drive my sisters car hit from the back by a woman txt and driving

Ouch!

Hope everyone walked away allrite!
Sister broken pelvis her husband back dislocated and neck whip lash dog serious mental problems but I think the dog was crazy before the accident but it doesn't like to ride in the car any more that's just the back there was four cars involved I don't have pictures of the front and right side of the car

Do you need studdeds? Nope.

Do I think everyone up here should have them? Yup.

Get them, just do not think they're magic. On ice they retain something along the lines 15-20ish% traction. Enough traction to maintain control in most situations, provided your not driving like an bubblegum hat.

Also, when your driving in the winter, assume everyone else does not have traction tires, and that they are driving like bubblegum hats, and you'll be good.

Great advice right there.

Sister broken pelvis her husband back dislocated and neck whip lash dog serious mental problems but I think the dog was crazy before the accident but it doesn't like to ride in the car any more that's just the back there was four cars involved I don't have pictures of the front and right side of the car

Ouch! So sorry to hear that!

Get a set of Blizzacks and be done with it, or run your normal all weathers and get a good set of actual chains, not cables! The wife has the Blizzacks on her Volvo V-70XC and they are on their fifth year! I run B-F Goodrich Mud Terrains on my Jeep and my pickup and I almost never need to chain up!

Definitely studs on aggressive tread snow tires, pre mounted on their own wheels! As mentioned above, they aren't magic! I believe that winter driving courses are available at PIR (Portland International Raceway). Assuming that snow and ice driving is not a current skill.
Another very handy item to have is a small, hydraulic floor jack. You can switch tires like lighting with one, and their not expensive! :)

For the wife's rav4, Michelin x-ice. They work really well. Most all of her driving is on pavement.
For my 4runner, Goodyear Duratrac's. They are beefy off road tires that are also rated for snow/ice. The are great in deep snow off road. Both stud-less as studs are too noisy.

In my opinion, lived here for 25 years, and in Kentucky for a year.

We don't have that bad of weather here. This winter was one of the worst in the last 6-8 years. Usually you will only need them for a couple weeks a year, or if you go in the hills and mountains.

But when the weather turns it's a must for one reason, Portland does a shet job at taking care of it's roads. They would rather shut down the city than put some salt down.

For studs I love the wintercats or BFGs

If you can afford them, and/or have the ability to store them most of the time, and/or use them sparingly and wisely, then studded tires work the best on snow and ice.

The problem is that on wet or dry roads, they are worse than almost everything else because the studs make for the worst traction on pavement that doesn't have snow and/or ice. In most of the west side of the Cascades of Oregon/Washington, that means you may only need them for a few weeks, if even that.

As mentioned, this last winter was somewhat unusual with more snow that we usually get and more often.

fc0eg3.jpg

It is not usual at all for us to get very little snow (even on my mountain), or maybe a few days to a week of a few inches of snow. This winter was, IIRC, the second winter in the 5 winters I have lived here that we got a real snow fall like this, and the only one where we got it several times.

In the usual winters here, a good all season or mud/snow tire for the winter with stippling added, is usually a much better all around tire. Combine that with an AWD (which for me is a necessity) and I do pretty well except for something like this last winter where I wished I had studs in addition to AWD.

I have read that there are experimental tires now that have retractable studs, and that would be nice. I don't like chains - they work well sometimes, but most of the time people don't install them properly, and then either leave them on when they shouldn't (when on bare pavement) or they have to remove them - they are a PIA and can cause damage to most modern cars when used improperly (which from my observation is most of the time).

You could always get a rig like mine and never have to worry at all, Yea, I get some snow down here, and this gets used for up to 5 months a year
stuck at Ellis 2010.jpg
No, I wasn't stuck, I just put in reverse and backed it out like nothing happend!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews