JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is a fairly large component of new shooters with the recent panic, I wonder if some of these people need some guidance to find responsible ways to enjoy their new firearms. Yes they are slobs, but perhaps some can be taught. I know there has always been a component that just has to see a TV spread around, or to cut a tree down with bullets, but maybe some of these people just can't come up with a better idea without help.

I maybe pessimistic. I just think jackasses are going to be jackasses, and unfortunately, there just seem to be more and more of them. The responsible folks just need to keep doing what they are doing, clean up after themselves, make sure nothing gets left behind. And just hope that this doesn't get bad enough that more and more places get shut down.

I'll admit that I was one of those people. A co-worker that would take me out to one of the quarries near Estacada, we would leave trash and brass. Last two times I was out there I brought a shovel and rake and cleaned up around me. I got strange looks from my co-worker but that was the last time I went out shooting with him as he thought it was not a bad thing to have a 12 gauge pointing towards me.

Slob shooters have been around for many decades. Granted with the explosion of new gun owners who have not grown up in the sporting traditions there are a lot more now (heck theres plain more people now)

The only way to deal with them is through personal education when you meet one and by cleaning up after them when you find a mess.

I have never heard the term "slob shooters" but I am sure as hell going to use the term now. Also, we have had some successful clean upa in years passed, too bad we don't have one here in the next week or so we could invite the media and show our side.

The photos made me sick. The few irresponsible people are ruining it for everybody else.[/QUOTE]

The problem is, there's just not a few of them there's a whole lot of them and they make the other shooters who are responsible very bad looking along with them. To all non gun shooters, those of us who do shoot we're are all the same to them. To them everyone of us leave trash behind. One of these days we will not be able to go out into the forest Or unless it is private property and we have permission if were lucky.

The problem is, there's just not a few of them there's a whole lot of them
AND there are a whole lot of them who are dumping and leaving trash and are NOT out shooting but we seem to suffer the most because we probably 'use' the forest more consistently and tend to be more obvious.

Shooting trees in two is reckless, in my opinion. It is also vandalism, and costs taxpayers and landowners a LOT of money. Don't shoot trees. I just bring a simple target stand with me. Find a backstop and I'm set.

"Reckless target shooters," is that a new PC term? I refer to them as "Slob Shooters."

Trashy bubblegums is my go-to.

The spots I normally go out to in the Coast Range are just as bad. Trash everywhere and shot up computer monitors.

Listen, fellas, it's not a tree-hugging hippie thing to clean up your mess in the wilderness. I'm no "Leave No Trace" aficionado that wouldn't dare step on the precious native grass, but c'mon now, don't leave a mess for the next guy.

That said, the part of the article that really cracked me up was this little gem:

River rafting companies complain the gunshots unsettle customers.

OH NO!

My son and I where up shooting and these yahoo's pulled up next to us and asked if they could shoot, next to us, I said no problem but you have to be safe with your gun's and clean up they looked at me perplexed as I also said hey I'll shoot back if you even get near me and my son. They left :s0114:. My son and I brought home some boxes that where left behind ;)

There is a fairly large component of new shooters with the recent panic, I wonder if some of these people need some guidance to find responsible ways to enjoy their new firearms. Yes they are slobs, but perhaps some can be taught. I know there has always been a component that just has to see a TV spread around, or to cut a tree down with bullets, but maybe some of these people just can't come up with a better idea without help.

Come on, its not a new shooter thing it's been like this since I can remember. Some people are just inconsiderate a-holes also it's not just shooters in many paces people use these areas as dumps and then shooters use the junk for target practice.

we have a rule when I shoot, every person brings a large garbage bag and fills it before we leave 95% of the stuff isn't ours.

Come on, its not a new shooter thing it's been like this since I can remember. Some people are just inconsiderate a-holes also it's not just shooters in many paces people use these areas as dumps and then shooters use the junk for target practice.

we have a rule when I shoot, every person brings a large garbage bag and fills it before we leave 95% of the stuff isn't ours.

This is what I teach my son's I have been doing this forever :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads