Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Re barreling M4

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Liberty97045, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Liberty97045

Liberty97045 Oregon City Well-Known Member

While I am waiting for the gubmint to approve my ThunderBeast 30P-1, naturally I am looking at things to spend money on so my other guns can accept it.

I have an older Olympic Arms AR-M4 with the short barrel and a welded on extension that makes it legal and makes it look like a 20 gauge. I'm not sure what this configuration is called.

This gun is an old pre-ban shooter with a slide fire stock and is just for killing zombies. :gun11: I am thinking about changing the barrel to something like this so that I can put my suppressor on it.

DPMS AP4 Barrel AR-15 5.56x45mm NATO M4 Contour 1 9 Twist 16 Chrome

I am also interested in the gas piston conversion kits. Opinions on the conversion on the zombie killer vs buying a gun with it already on it? Some kits use the existing front sight post
    Osprey Defense OPS-416 Gas Piston Retrofit Conversion Kit AR-15

And some replace it
    CMMG Gas Piston Retrofit Conversion Kit Gas Block 1-Piece Bolt Carrier

Thoughts?

2. Liberty97045

Oh yea, is there a difference between a .556 chambering and a 223? Should I care?

3. BANE

BANE Battle Ground WA. Well-Known Member

You would want a 5.56 chamber. Are you going to get your can welded onto a short barrel or a 16" so you can take ot on and off? The benefit of running a piston system is it keeps your rifle cleaner..

4. BANE

You could get your barrel extension machined off. So you could use your existing barrel.

5. Liberty97045

The existing barrel would not be legal without the welded on extension and no, I would not weld a screw on can to a barrel. :rolleyes:

What I am after with the new barrel are the threads necessary to attach a suppressor.

6. Liberty97045

Thanks for the reply Captain Obvious

7. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

"What I am after with the new barrel are the threads necessary to attach a suppressor"
    NO
    Now get oyver to silincertalk.com and ask a bunch of ??? about the options.

8. BANE

I was going to offer a barrel install. I could get a barrel if you needed one also. But whatever ...
    i build AR's all the time and make cans at a local ffl. (Legal ones)I was just wanting to know more about your thoughts you could of wanted to build a sbr (legal) with the paper work. Sorry for the inconvenience. And to waste your time..

9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Dude,you tried,just go back to your regular programing. He'll figure it out

10. Tim K

Tim K Colorado Member

White Oak Armament 18". Have a smith cut and re thread for your 30P, or run an adaptor on the stock threads of a 16". They are 1:7 twist and absolute hammers with 77g SMK'S. I've on my 5th, and they shoot into 5/16" at 100y.

11. Liberty97045

Thank you