JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's been nearly 2 years since I've had range time with 9mm. This is an entirely subjective observation on
side-by-side of these 3 models: Sig 229/Walther PPX/Sig 365.

Ammo was factory Blazer 115/124 FMJ; private reloads both FMJ & cast 124 RNL. Position was both standing and sitting; course of fire was steel plates from 12 to 25 yards, 4" to 6" diameter. Conditions were dry/overcast/49*F. Some shots were free standing or non-braced sitting position, while some were from braced bench rest position.

Surprised to see the physical configuration of 229/PPX were close clones in length, slide size, & frame geometry. Even the front trigger guard had similar finger grip. P365 was just a bit smaller, no actual measurements obtained. Like comparing L to M t-shirt fit difference perhaps. The 229 grip felt a little fatter than the PPX, the 365 grip size similar to PPX, "just right" for my hand size.

In 200+ rounds, no functional failures. Casual non-exact count found I was able to miss about the same amount of steel equally with all models. And all models seemed to produce slightly more hits with the much maligned factory Blazer ammo than with the reloads. No opportunity to do a proper paper target group evaluation, so no conclusions made. Plan more formal accuracy study if opportunity presents.

The PPX trigger was pleasantly smoother & "better" than the other 2. The 365 produced similar accuracy at all targets but required more concentration to hold on target. A certain relief was noted by the end of the 12 round 365 magazine strings. While grip was comfortable and trigger was 'good', the rough grip surface was a bit distracting.

All these are older models with prior use range use. With further practice I'd expect some good groups.

I had a quick range day yesterday as well. No 9mm this time, I had my Glock 22 and M&P shield both in 40 S&W. I started with the Shield loaded with some 155gr SWC's and started bouncing pop cans around right out of the gate. I generally shoot at paper for groups so it was fun playing happy can for a change. I put 50 rounds thru the little gun and didn't shoot the Glock.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top