JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let me re phrase my comment. I have some of his books. They are great reads with awesome pictures. But I wouldn't trust him.
If I remember correctly he went to jail from basically defrauding a couple in Louisville ky.

Indeed, he was finally tried and convicted. I remember his books from years back and they have some good content, but considering he was fraudster, his work is now seriously suspect.

While Wilson has been proven a crook, dismissing all he has written would be folly. Lots of crooks remain studied experts in one field or another even after their fall from grace.

For those with interest, R.L. ("Larry") Wilson appeared (starred) in a widely acclaimed motion picture.

"In the Blood", was written, directed and produced by George Butler, who was also the director and producer of the films to which Arnold Schwarzenegger literally owes his launch to fame: "Pumping Iron" and "Pumping Iron II".

It is a VERY good film (documentary) about the issues and ethics regarding hunting and centers around an African safari where Teddy Roosevelt's "Big Stick" (a double rifle) is brought along (perhaps supplied by Wilson or his rich gun collector buddy along for the ride), as well as Teddy Roosevelt IV and Teddy Roosevelt V.

Butler's kid uses the gun to take a Cape Buffalo.

The film toggles back and forth in time with archival footage of President Roosevelt's 1909 safari with his son Kermit (Teddy said "screw it" with politics and went hunting rather than run for another term).

An excellent film, marvelously photographed, and a "must see" for youngsters learning to hunt, or those with questions about the larger implications of big game hunting.. also, it came out in 1989: presumably when Larry Wilson was "deep in the thick of things" toward being a crook.

Last Edited:
While Wilson has been proven a crook, dismissing all he has written would be folly. Lots of crooks remain studied experts in one field or another even after their fall from grace.

For those with interest, R.L. ("Larry") Wilson appeared (starred) in a widely acclaimed motion picture.

"In the Blood", was written, directed and produced by George Butler, who was also the director and producer of the films to which Arnold Schwarzenegger literally owes his launch to fame: "Pumping Iron" and "Pumping Iron II".

It is a VERY good film (documentary) about the issues and ethics regarding hunting and centers around an African safari where Teddy Roosevelt's "Big Stick" (a double rifle) is brought along (perhaps supplied by Wilson or his rich real-estate mogul buddy along for the ride), as well as Teddy Roosevelt IV and Teddy Roosevelt V.

Butler's kid uses the gun to take a Cape Buffalo.

The film toggles back and forth in time with archival footage of President Roosevelt's 1909 safari with his son Kermit (Teddy said "screw it" with politics and went hunting rather than run for another term).

An excellent film, marvelously photographed, and a "must see" for youngsters learning to hunt, or those with questions about the larger implications of big game hunting.. also, it came out in 1989: presumably when Larry Wilson was "deep in the thick of things" toward being a crook.
I've always thought a good conman would have to be a pretty good actor.

Update:
Just received my 2nd edition Antique values "blue book".
It contains significant respectful mention from the authors/contributors regarding Larry Wilson, including credits toward the publication (and his death).

His knowledge still holds value for some of the "Big Guns" in gun collecting (and myself).

We all can only hope that the good things we do are remembered and valued against our failings.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top