JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What does it take to fabricate an AR enplate from scratch? Even though the raw material is 1/8" plate steel, it's probably a safe bet that the stamping/die cutting/etc are beyond even a well stocked home workshop.

I have a particular sling-mount endplate I'm looking at that isn't exported out of Canada, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of shop I should be looking for to have a few made, hopefully at a price that won't butt-rape my wallet.

What does it take to fabricate an AR enplate from scratch? Even though the raw material is 1/8" plate steel, it's probably a safe bet that the stamping/die cutting/etc are beyond even a well stocked home workshop.

I have a particular sling-mount endplate I'm looking at that isn't exported out of Canada, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of shop I should be looking for to have a few made, hopefully at a price that won't butt-rape my wallet.

Make friends with a Canadian and have them forward one to you... ;)

Also, how about a link, or screen shot of the specimen?

Make friends with a Canadian and have them forward one to you... ;)

Also, how about a link, or screen shot of the specimen?
Can't ship legally. Canadian export law and US import crap.

But here's the reference pic, from a buddy up there:
photo-119_zpsjzlsb4l8.jpg

The single-slot I could probably fake with a Vltor SASE-1, which while not cosmetically quite there can also mount with the sling on the other side--a big help since the GF and I are both southpaws.

Specific style I have in mind is the one at the top left, which sounds like it's hard to get even up there.

@Quartermaster That's another option I've considered. :) The sling mount and the green recoil pad are the two biggest nuisances in a modern C8 build... well, third behind BCM never having the Tri-Rail adapters that clamp around the FSB in stock.

Looks like an exclusive Colt Canada part, eh ?
Go to Canada, buy one.
Put it on your keychain and come back.
It's a bottle opener if anyone asks.

:)

Waaay cheaper than developing the tooling to make your own.

Looks like an exclusive Colt Canada part, eh ?
Go to Canada, buy one.
Put it on your keychain and come back.
It's a bottle opener if anyone asks.

:)

Waaay cheaper than developing the tooling to make your own.

Just beat me too it lol.

That was exactly what I was thinking.

Nothing about any of those screams gun part

To fabricate a part like what you want in a well stocked home workshop. One would not use stamping/die cutting. One would use the same method as a manufacturer when they are building prototypes and pre production samples a cnc mill, possibly with the thru cuts performed by a laser cutter. So yes my well stocked home workshop could produce one. The time consuming part of a project of this nature is creating the code to feed the mill. If I were further along the learning curve learning my software this would be a simple project, unfortunately I'm nowhere near proficient with my mill.
You may be able to find a machine shop student at the local tech school that could knock one out.

Or take the wife on a trip to Canada and bring back a key ring bottle opener as suggested.:)

Or put it in your wallet just for the crossing, I doubt it would have developed the distinctive outline in the fabric such as that created by a Trojan and even if it did and the the border agent noticed he / she (they) would likely just think you have a strange shaped johnson.:s0001:

I actually have AutoCAD on my laptop, so maybe I could do the code myself. :) The GG&G sling is what a lot of folks have suggested... right now I'm thinking fake it with an Odin Works ambi slingplate (functionally similar to the triangles but not quite identical, though few look UP at an endplate's bottom) and tell the GF if she wants an absolutely perfect clone, the endplate joins the Elcan optic and Eickhorn bayonet on the "Arrange Your Own" list. (Seriously, if she wants a scope that costs as much as the whole damn rifle, she can either get her own or let me put a ring on her finger.)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top