JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Normally you can substitute a slightly lighter bullet with the load data of a heavier bullet and not have an issue. But the Sierra load data I found (pic below) for 175-200gr FMJs has an unexpectedly huge gap in minimum charges with CFE BLK between the 180gr and 190gr FMJs.

180gr stops at 1400fps with 15gr of CFE BLK but 190gr go all the way down to 1050fps with 11.4gr of CFE BLK

It would stand to reason that the 180gr FMJ has room to go below the 1400fps threshold with lower charges of CFE BLK.....maybe not down to 1050fps, but lower for sure. At least to the same energy as the 190gr with 11.4gr.

Aside from a bolt action versus functioning in a semi auto discussion...... what am I missing? Would 11.4gr to 14.9gr behind the 180gr FMJ cause more pressure than behind the 190gr FMJ? Seems to me 11.4gr should push a 180gr over 1050fps without an issue.

Just curious....

300BLK wCFE.jpg

I'm not advocating for anything but sometimes you just have to experiment.

Just don't get a bullet stuck in a barrel when looking for the lowest possible load... or one that dropped in the dirt 5' before the target.
...don't ask.

what are you trying to achieve? in the grand scheme of things i personally dont believe 10gr of bullet is going to matter much at such low speeds with the same powder charge. i would get the chrono out and start testing and as @Dyjital suggests...dont get one stuck in the barrel. i load all my blackout subs at 1025-1040fps

clearly. and i gave my opinion. just wondering if you were loading up some subs.

Running out of W296 and researching other powders for the bullets I have on hand. I like to have the most versatile powder I can find....ie: the widest bullet weights and speeds possible.

If you had a 'possible' range of 3.6gr between the min and max...what sort of ladder would you do? 0.5gr? I don't think I've ever laddered a pistol more than 0.1 or 0.2 gr at a time.

My BLK loading is mainly for firing subs from a bolt gun. I've been loading 220 grain coated lead projectiles to subsonic velocity. Tried CFE Blk, 4227, lil gun, and 1680 powder. Got the best results (chrono and accuracy/consistency) from 1680 and lil gun, but I haven't tried lighter projectiles yet. I have limited experience with the CFE BLK, so I am interested in others' response to your question.

i started a thread a few years ago about me working up a sunsonic load that functions in my AR pistol using 1680 powder

1680 was the powder used in the development of the 300 BLK if I'm not mistaken. That will be the powder I start with when I get around to loading for this cartridge.

I ran CFE-BLK down to 13.0gr behind the 180gr fmj and it functioned perfectly in my AR. No signs of over pressure. There was a noticable sound difference between 15.0gr and 13.0gr.

Next outing I'll ladder it down to 11.0gr and see how it goes. Maybe the chrono will behave and work as well.

I have a limited amount of 1680 and have used it for 220gr powder coated. Feeding reliably that large of a bullet was a problem though.

If you are trying to find subsonic realms for your suppressor, just ladder down until the subsonic crack stops to find your load. This will go without a hitch if using bolt action, however a semiauto may have problems cycling as you ladder down the load on a lighter bullet. A lighter spring or adjustable gas block can help.

300blktalk is a great resource...but not a whole lot on CFEBLK.

While I appreciate the responses and recommendation on other powders...I wasn't really looking for a different powder. I have used others with success but right now I'm more interested in seeing what CFEBLK can do and was surprised by the Sierra data.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top