JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My grandparents picked up a PC9 for me on Saturday and I received it from them yesterday. It's a cool looking rifle but unfortunately the slide is stuck open, leaving the chamber exposed. From what I have read I'm pretty sure it has a last shot hold open safety feature, but I can't rack the slide closed even when there is no magazine in the rifle.

Is this is an issue anyone else has encountered or something that can easily be fixed? I was hoping to take the rifle out today for some plinking since I have the day off but it's looking like that will have to wait.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Never mind, didn't realize I had to pull on the bolt while pressing the slide release. I'll try and delete this thread.

I have a PC4, its a fun little rifle. I've never owned a 10/22, but I've heard these referred to as a "10/22 on steroids".

I don't believe that you should need to pull back on the bolt to get the slide release button to function, although it might make it easier. I have found that to fully clean these Rugers, it takes a bit of work/time (its been a while since I've done it, but as I recall you have to remove the receiver from the stock in order to remove the bolt).

My point is, if your rifle is used, the previous owner may not have done a full detail cleaning. You might want to fully strip it down, and clean and lightly oil it before you take it out to shoot it. I've had more than one used gun I've bought have feeding problems when I bought it, which were solved by a thorough cleaning.

Thanks for the replies! I took it out plinking yesterday and I have to say it is a lot of fun to shoot. I was mistaken on getting the slide release to work (you don't have to pull back on the bolt while pressing the slide release). I will definitely keep the tips on cleaning it in mind, I-Shoot, I'm probably stopping by my grandparents sometime this week to clean my rifle with my grandpa (and to let him know how it shoots, of course lol). They purchased it from an LEO who recently retired and mainly used it as a trunk gun, he said there wasn't too many rounds through it.

PDXSparky: I'll post pics as soon as I get a better camera, the camera on my phone wouldn't give the rifle justice.

One thing to remember when you put it back together is to pull the bolt back when you pivot the receiver back into the stock. If you don't, you will find that the bolt cannot be pulled to the rear and you'll have to take it back apart again to do it right.
Ask me how I know.:)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads