JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello folks,
I just moved to WA state in early Nov. from CA.
I own a decent collection that I purchased while living in CA.
I just got my WA driver's license in the mail a week and a half ago.
This past Wednesday on the 13th, I went in to my local sheriff's office and did the paperwork/fingerprint for my WA CPL. On the same day, I went into an FFL in Bellevue to do the transfer paperwork for a new handgun that I had purchased via Bud's.

Here's where my question lies.....in the background paperwork, it asked a question if I've been in WA state for the last '90 consecutive days". I marked "no" and informed one of sales guy at the store. He stated that there may be a hold (beyond the WA 10 day wait period) until I meet the 90 day residency. I had thought that this was a requirement that pertained only to immigrant/resident aliens? I'm a US citizen. No criminal record.

Can any of you more informed members here clarify this? I had thought I researched the WA requirements enough ahead of time. Just bummed since I was looking forward to it.

Thanks in advance. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone.
Mike

Last Edited:
The law states that you must reside in this state for 3months (90 days) to clarify that you are a resident of Washington. Can't get any clearer than that, right or wrong no matter if you are a U.S. resident or an illegal alien.

Welcome to Washifornia.;)

Best start contacting your elected representatives and tell them to knock off the Anti-gun bias they are showing or soon we will become Way North Kalifornication.

Agreed! It's already happening in the PNW from what I can see. I grew up in Seattle actually but left back in 1997 for college. So much has changed here....not all for the better.

I'm glad I left in '94 , after seeing all the headaches and heartaches the ELECTED officials of Washington and Oregon are causing its' residents.
IF you swear to LEAVE ALL YOUR LIBERAL WAYS BEHIND YOU, you are welcome to come north and make your home in Alaska!

Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a licensed dealer may not deliver any firearm to a purchaser or transferee until the earlier of:
(1) The results of all required background checks are known and the purchaser or transferee is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal or state law; or
(2) Ten business days have elapsed from the date the licensed dealer requested the background check. However, for sales and transfers of pistols if the purchaser or transferee does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, then the time period in this subsection shall be extended from ten business days to sixty days.

RCW 9.41.092.

Best thing to do would be to cancel the sale and then come back with your CPL in hand as the waiting periods do not apply then.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top