JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just curious, but why would you toss the original powder if you knew what caliber load it came in? Im pretty new to reloading and this is an honest question
Toss it if it came in cases and so you don't what powder it is. Keep it if you loaded it and you KNOW what it is.

Just curious, but why would you toss the original powder if you knew what caliber load it came in? Im pretty new to reloading and this is an honest question
There are far too many possible powders out there for any one caliber with wildly different charge weights. (The same charge weight of one powder may be so light as to not cycle the gun and the same weight of another powder be enough to violently and destructively disassemble your gun both in the same caliber) it is impossible to be certain what an unknown powder is to find safe load data to use it.

In addition factory ammo is often loaded with powders that are not what we can source as reloaders and a such there is no published load data.

I do pickup every live round I find on the ground after matches and on a slow day will pull them,dump the powder, melt the bullets down and pull the primers to reuse for practice ammo or ammo for guns I would not otherwise load ammo for in this present time (I love my revolvers but would never take primers away from what I need for practice and competition with my match guns during a shortage) and have been able to load up a couple thousand rounds for revolver using reclaimed primers. These are used for loads well below max and as such I'm not concerned with what type primer they are a magnum or rifle primer under a mid range load of unique in a .357 case is not going to put me anywhere near max pressure.

I don't think that I would pay much of anything for pulled primers though.

Last Edited:
Anybody here have experience with recovered primers as sold by GI Brass?
Bought 10K. Loaded some of them in 223 and 9mm (per Jeff). All functioned great. The primers run through my auto primer feed ok, but occassionally get hung up. Not tight.

Said to be from the Remington contract at Lake City although they're packed in Winchester boxes that are blacked out.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top