JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a few days ago I got an ad in the email from an all too familiar website. PSA had their 3.5lb match grade triggers on sale normally $150 on sale for $99.99

I liked that it was under 4lbs, and for $99 I figured I would give it a shot. It is a flat trigger, single stage and comes with its own set of anti-walk pins.

I installed it into a trigger testing device I received from Larue a few years back. It's nice in that you can dry fire the trigger and let it smack up against the plastic stop as opposed to letting it hit and damage a lower reciever (if activating without the upper and BCG attached).

It did appear to have a "minty" smelling grease applied to it, but the sear surface appeared to be somewhat "dry". It had about 1/16" creep in the trigger prior to the hammer falling. Almost like a mini 2-stage in a way if that makes sense. I applied some lithium grease to the engagement surfaces and somehow the "creep" went completely away. Even trying to creep up on the pressure, it was like there was a solid wall, and then a glass like trigger break. Not sure why, but this is what I observed over and over after greasing it.

The trigger is "rated" as 3.5lbs but mine actually broke at under three lbs the majority of the time. Closer to 2 and 3/4 lbs or thereabouts on average.

Long term testing is still obviously a ways away so we'll have to see how she holds up. I tried looking on PSAs website to see what material the trigger is made of but the description was pretty vague from what I saw.

Overall, I think this is a very good purchase for the price, and perhaps even a good deal if one were to spend more. For $99 this was a definite "win" for me purchase wise. Can't wait to take it to the range and try it out when I get the chance!

For reference, I checked the pull weights of a few other ARs and a bolt action rifle I had nearby.

Special Purpose Rifle I built several years ago for a three day Designated Marksman class wears a Rock River 2 stage match trigger advertised as 4.5 lbs. It consistently measured 3lbs 14oz.

A Larue PredatAR I bought a few years ago came with a single stage Geissele installed though for the life of me I don't recall which model. It consistently broke at 4lbs 7oz.

And lastly I wanted to check my Savage .223 bolt action with Accutrigger. I always feel spoiled with the trigger on it and it's hard to adjust to other triggers if I immediately try to switch to something else. Now I know why. It consistently measured at 1lb 1.5oz to 1lb 2.0oz. I always enjoy pulling the trigger on that one!

Hope someone finds a little value from this. I know it was a fun little project for me.

AAB975D5-23EB-4C18-AC02-4A9BE1861603.jpeg 62BC4768-6BA4-4051-98B5-CC2CB63D1CF6.jpeg B72BB3DC-A37A-407F-86D6-DA87E3363652.jpeg 0F8B6515-8D23-4BC9-A035-D3CAAA2AB88C.jpeg 6FA0A315-A643-422A-923C-1BBB39FF12F2.jpeg CC25E35B-C52F-4F53-822A-6EFCB9054939.jpeg F83CB367-BC23-47B1-BEE0-426B5436CB39.jpeg

Last Edited:
How has it been working? It looks like it has a lot of similarities to CMC triggers. I've been a fan of CMC. I wonder if it is made by CMC for Palmetto. If so, it looks like it should be a legit trigger, if not CMC may have some claims to patent infringement. The fact that we haven't seen any legal actions is what makes me wonder if this is a Palmetto/CMC partnership.

How has it been working? It looks like it has a lot of similarities to CMC triggers. I've been a fan of CMC. I wonder if it is made by CMC for Palmetto. If so, it looks like it should be a legit trigger, if not CMC may have some claims to patent infringement. The fact that we haven't seen any legal actions is what makes me wonder if this is a Palmetto/CMC partnership.
I actually haven't been firing my ARs much lately so don't have any more to add. I should probably remedy that!

Finally got the PSA trigger. Lots of similarities to the CMC trigger. So much so that if there is no official agreement between the two companies, the CMC's lawyers may want to have a conversation with PSA.

Some differences besides the trigger shape is the cassette housing. CMC is stamped sheet metal whereas PSA is machined aluminum. Otherwise the hammer looks identical and has identical stampings. The Comparing the two brands the PSA is a good trigger, while the CMC is a great trigger. The PSA has some slight creep out of the box. Both of my CMC triggers have absolutely no creep in comparison. I will see how the PSA feels after breaking in (but the CMCs didn't need any break in to feel excellent).
I picked up the PSA for $90 compared to $130 for the last CMC on sale. Would I purchase another PSA? For $90, possibly but for their $130 regular price I would wait and get a CMC on sale.

My PSA is a sample size of one. Your mileage may vary. Overall I think it is a good buy when on sale.

Quite often these makers use common parts cast in bulk. Like Schmidt triggers. You ever see a mil spec triggers with a "S" cast into the trigger, hammer & safety? I've bought them all over the place. BCM casts their own. You can usually tell who actually makes their own. Take the Geiselle triggers with the G cast right into them so there's no doubt.
Its no biggie if they are common parts and then custom fit.

On another note have any of you who have tried the CMC's and these PSA triggers compared them to or preferably own any Larue triggers?

Quite often these makers use common parts cast in bulk. Like Schmidt triggers. You ever see a mil spec triggers with a "S" cast into the trigger, hammer & safety? I've bought them all over the place. BCM casts their own. You can usually tell who actually makes their own. Take the Geiselle triggers with the G cast right into them so there's no doubt.
Its no biggie if they are common parts and then custom fit.

On another note have any of you who have tried the CMC's and these PSA triggers compared them to or preferably own any Larue triggers?
It's possible. I don't know if CMC farms out any of their production for fire control parts, but the PSA hammer and CMC hammer are identical. If so I imagine the difference in feel (and cost) is the little extra love CMC puts into their triggers. Again, this is a sample of one PSA trigger to two CMC triggers, but the CMC feels like a tuned custom trigger while the PSA feels more like it is mass produced, if that makes sense.
I can't compare to Larue, as I have never used one. But, to compare the aftermarket triggers I have used I would rank them as follows:

CMC
Hiperfire EDT
PSA Drop In
JMT Saber
Elftmann SE

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR