JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm proud new gun owner. I finally got my very first .22LR this week. Looking forward to teaching my 9 year old son all about it.
Congrats and welcome and all but you know we all love guns. So don't keep us wondering. What kind of gun? Pics always nice as all of us love to look at new toys :). Of course as soon as you try let us know what you think and how it works. Great that you are teaching another young shooter to love the sport!!!!

Thanks Alexx1401. I got a Savage Mark II bolt action. Thought this would be a great starting point for everyone and eventually move up. I'm in search for a youth rifle for him. Looked around and don't think the rascal will be ideal for him as he will grow out of it very fast. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also thinking to go out to Brown's camp to try it out. Any thoughts?

Thanks Alexx1401. I got a Savage Mark II bolt action. Thought this would be a great starting point for everyone and eventually move up. I'm in search for a youth rifle for him. Looked around and don't think the rascal will be ideal for him as he will grow out of it very fast. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also thinking to go out to Brown's camp to try it out. Any thoughts?

My hands down favorite has long been the Ruger 10/22. You can get a "youth size" stock for one for the youngster, and as he grows just slap another one on. Main thing is to let all have lots of safe cheap fun. The .22 can't be beat for that. They are always a great place to start new shooters with. Enjoy!!!

Nice. Even though it's "just a .22", make sure you both use ear and eye protection. Nothing will instill dislike or a flinch like the crack of a gun, especially in a new shooter.

Welcome aboard! You'll find this community is very supportive and funny too.

I love shooting 22LR, I remember when the little 50 round boxes were only .99 cents, I would shoot hundreds of rounds. My fingers would turn black from loading mags.

Congratulations on your Savage. They make fine products. I still have a Savage 64F with a Simmons scope. I've now taught a handful of beginners how to shoot on that rifle.

That's awesome and welcome. I just joined yesterday and every one here are very welcoming ask all the questions u need and I'll help if I can but I think your questions will be answered very fast..

Welcome! My first gun was also a Savage .22 bolt action. My dad bought it when I was about your son's age. We found it cheap at a pawn shop and refinished the stock together.

Good father/son project, and I still have it.

Welcome to the greatest firearm forum on the inter webs, it's a great group here with an unsurpassed depth of knowledge as well as a twisted sense of humor.

Good on yer for teaching the boy proper firearms handling and respect for the tool... I'd say .22's are the most fun to shoot, low recoil and report, typically very accurate and great for building confidence in a young or new shooter...

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews