Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Problem? with my remington 870

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by james83, Jun 29, 2011.

1. james83

james83 beaverton oregon I'am feeling fat and sassy

Hi

Just looking for some advice,knowledge,opinions on a problem im having with my Remington 870 12guage.

I have owned the gun for about 3 months and put about 200 rounds through it with no problems, the barrel is a remington factory made 28" multi-choke.

I decided to use the 870 as a home defense gun and so i bought a 18.5" barrel made by mossberg for the 870 to make it a little more usable in a home defense situation.

Now heres the problem -

With the 18.5" barrel installed the gun will not dry-fire snapcaps.

The action works the same it cycles,chambers and ejects shells just fine, it cycles chambers and ejects snapcaps just fine
    but it will not dry-fire when a snapcap is in the chamber.

When the 28" barrel is installed the gun will dry-fire when the snapcap is the chamber.

I have not as yet had time to get out to the woods and try to fire live shells in the 18.5" barrel so i dont know if it works.

This has honestly got me really puzzled, the functions and action appears the same with both barrels but why in the heck the 18.5" barrel wont fire a snap cap is beyond me.

I have looked online and cannot find any info about this problem, Its got me beat!

Any help with this would be wonderful

Thanks -james

2. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Is the bolt closing completely with the 18.5 barrel installed? That's the only thing I can think of at this hour and one cup of coffee.

3. james83

Thanks for the reply.

I just compared the action with both barrels and yes the bolt is closing completly when the 18.5" barrel is installed.

While comparing the guns function with either the 18.5" or the 28" barrel i noticed something else 'interesting'

-When the 18.5" barrel is installed if i load the mag tube with live rounds and cycle the action, I have to activate the slide release in order to eject the live shell from the chamber. But if i load snapcaps into the mag tube and cycle the action, The gun will allow me to eject the snap cap from the chamber without activating the slide release.

-When the 28" barrel is installed I have to activate the slide release in order to eject either live shells or snap caps from the chamber.

I have owned various shotguns since i was 11yrs old and never experienced a problem like this before, its really got me puzzeled'

4. madcratebuilder

Try calling Mossberg tech support, maybe they have seen this before. It certainly is an odd problem.

5. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

You should not be able to pump it without either pulling the trigger, or pushing the pump release.
    Sounds like its not going into battery with the 18.5 barrel.

6. madcratebuilder

With the 18.5 installed and in battery put a witness mark on the bolt and receiver. Then install the long barrel and check the witness mark. I'll bet the bolt is further forward. Rix's comment on not going in to battery completely sounds correct to me.

7. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

The bolt is not completely locking. I belive that the mounting sleeve under the barrel, the part that slides over the mag tube is out of spec and you cannot thighten the nut down far enough to seat the barrel/chamber into the receiver. lay the barrels side by side and check to see if the dimensions of the various points on them are EXACTLY the same.

8. OregonJohn

OregonJohn Sutherlin, Or Bronze Life Member #1 Lifetime Supporter

I will try. Snap caps are out of spec for the short barrel. Live rounds work in each barrel. Head space is tighter on the short barrel, but in spec to use live round. Live rounds should fire in the short barrel. Check the rim thickness on the snap cap. I think you will find it to be thicker than the live round. Gun will not lock up or fire when out of battery.

John

9. james83

Thanks everyone for the infomation so far.

I do not have any calipers on hand at the moment (guess i'll try loan some from my job)

But i have done some measurments with a regular tape measure on the barrels, live shells and snapcaps.

The sleeve mounting on both barrels is at the same distance and the fore end cap screws into the same position with either barrel.

The only spec difference on the 18.5" barrel is that the cuts in the barrel which enable it to lock into the action are slightly longer than the cuts on the 28" barrel.

I measured the head space of both types of live shells i have on hand compared to the head space on the snapcaps and found that the head space on the snapcaps is aproximatly 0.1mm larger than the headspace on the live shells.

I took madcratebuilders advice and put a witness mark on the action and barrel with both barrels and found that the bolt is not completly forward when the 18.5" barrel is installed and a snapcap is in the chamber, although it will go completly forward with a live round in the chamber of the 18.5" barrel.

My main concern is wether the gun will live fire with the 18.5" barrel installed.

Its looking like i'll be able to get out to shoot on monday so i guess i should just try and test the function with live rounds.

As i say the measurements i have taken so far are not 100% accurate without calipers and difference in headspace between the live shells and snapcaps is minimal.

Thank you to everyone for the replys

-james

10. james83

Sorry meant to say i put a witness mark on the bolt and reciever not on the action and barrel

11. james83

Managed to get out and shoot today 18.5" barrel works fine with live shells.

Happy july 4th everyone!

12. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

Cool cool.
    Verification of snap caps for 12 guage not being so great.
    Someone posted how to make your own snap caps out of already fired shells.....

13. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

I don't have time to pull out my 870 with the Mossberg 18.5" barrel but if I recall correctly, the chamber is part of the barrel. If the cuts are deeper/longer then it might allow the barrel to be inserted into the receiver farther than the standard barrel. This would put the rear of the shell back farther and possibly cause the action to go out of battery with a round inserted.

What you might try is to loosen the barrel so it can move forward and back without much effort, then insert a snap cap and close the action. Push the barrel back to where you would normally have it and see if it pushes the bolt back. Alternatively, you could have the barrel in its regular position, load a snap cap and close the action and see if it pushes the barrel forward.

elsie

14. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

Find a good used REMINGTON BARREL and have it cut to desired length.