JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Working last summer as a Ranger Assistant for the City of Everett I contacted a man that apparently was un-aware of the phenomenon of tides...

It was low tide on the Snohomish river and he decided that his ford truck, trailer, and boat could just back down the ramp, continue over the river mud/silt until he hit the center of the river where there was water. However he of course got all the way to the water and got stuck with all four tires in the mud. Thats not the best part.

The tide was rapidly coming in around his truck and trailer.

In a panic they asked me to tow them out. Of course it is not my responsibility to get the City Ranger truck stuck in the mud as well. My truck was not equipped with a winch either. I called one of the rangers and they told me quote: "wow... some people, well tell them to call a tow truck"

Been there done that!

Me too. It wasn't even me who forgot to put the plug in, but I guess I should have check it as it was my boat.
What made it worse is that by the time I've noticed it there was tons of water in the boat and all I could do is go fast enough to have the self bailing setup to work.
Boat was a Whaler clone, and they really are unsinkable.

Me too. It wasn't even me who forgot to put the plug in, but I guess I should have check it as it was my boat.
What made it worse is that by the time I've noticed it there was tons of water in the boat and all I could do is go fast enough to have the self bailing setup to work.
Boat was a Whaler clone, and they really are unsinkable.

Tell everybody you were trying the Coast Guard drill.They do that with Whalers.

Went down to John Waine marina the other day.Talked to a few boater down there.
If you look at a map,you see there is a little channel to navigate through around a couple points.
A Guy was sailing through the channel and looked north to see a motor boat screaming toward his path.
He had the right of way being under sail and all,but the guy just kept going.Well he isn't slowing down to make the right to navigate the channel.He isn't going to....ooopps

He hit the beach at about 20 knots.Came out of the cabin and just looked down at the beach.
Got the whole boat out of the water too.

Back in the summer of 81, my stepfather decided to take the boat out to the East Hoquiam River to fish for sea run cutties. We got to the upper launch at the tail end of a minus tide, and found that a quarter of the way down the boat launch two concrete slabs in the ramp were missing. He managed to back the trailer down and somehow up and back on the remaining slabs, but he noticed rebar sticking out of the lower slab that could puncture his truck tire (thankfully the trailers tires had missed this) . He decided to unhook the trailer and walk the trailer and boat down the remaining twenty or so feet of muddy ramp.

Did I mention he decided to do all this after tackling his second six pack of Olympia? Yeah I know drinking and anything doesn't mix, but remember it was a different time back then, so lets not get too judgmental. Too be honest if he was sober I doubt he could have prevented anything that happened that day.

Of course he slipped and ended up sliding/running behind the boat and trailer all the way to the bottom. The boat came loose and made a beeline for the opposite bank. He went for a quick swim and brought the boat back to the launch. When he tried to pull the trailer up the ramp, he found that it had wedged itself into a log at the bottom of the river. He ended up using the winch on his truck to get the trailer out with about four feet of the log it was hooked to.

We got on the river, and he said to me "keep an eye out for deadheads". No sooner did he say that when there was sudden jerk and the boat stopped dead - we ended up hitting a deadhead with the propeller, and of course the propeller was somewhere on the bottom of the river. After a nice round of cussing, he said "well I guess we can row back". That was when he realized that he left the oars back in the garage. We were only a mile or so below the boat launch on the incoming tide, and my stepdad was able to find a long alder branch and use it to long pole our way back to the boat launch. I took the opportunity to slow troll a triple teaser and nightcrawler and caught three nice cutties before returning to the launch (this managed to p*** my stepdad off more than anything).

After rummaging around in the brush at the top of the ramp my stepdad found a few pieces of wood and some rocks that he placed in the muddy section where the two concrete slabs used to be and backed the trailer down the ramp, retrieved the boat and back up the ramp without incident.

When we returned home we told my mom that he had gotten wet and muddy after snagging the propeller on a deadhead, and that he had to jump in the river to try and pry it out. She bought the story (if she knew the truth, the boat would have been gone, along with any fishing, and most likely hunting trips in the future) and I got pizza out of the deal.

...just an fyi...

...whenever trailering to the launch, go through a paper checklist (like a pre-flight). My version is attached, if I was successful at attaching it...maybe I'll copy/paste below, too. It keeps me from forgetting things like putting in the plug, attaching the lights, packing the handheld VHF, &c. Good habit to get into.

Another good habit once back at home is to always pull the KEY and the PLUG and store them in the same bag or container. Soon as I grab the keys I beeline to the transom and put in the plug.

Stay afloat!

Boat Prep Check-Out List:

General Box
o Tool kit
o Electrical kit
o Jumper pack

Electronics
o Stereo
o VHF
o Fishfinder

Motors
o Kicker tank