JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All,

I am safekeeping a 1969 Ruger Single Six for a friend of my wife's and am considering asking her if she'd like to sell it. Approx. 6" barrel, fixed sights. I would rate the condition as fair. The pistol had a very slight patina of rust on the barrel exterior when she first gave it to me. I cleaned it up before storing it, but there is still some embedded color in the metal. Much of the finish remains but it is definitely not new looking. There is some very slight pitting here and there, and it exhibits moderate holster wear, notably all along the extractor and cylinder. The frame side of one of the wooden grips has a large chip missing on the bottom, bad enough that it would drive me nuts and I would have to replace it if I bought it. Mechanically it seems very sound and has a nice, crisp C-O-L-T hammer pull ( yeah baby :cool: ). I could post pictures later if needed.

What would be a fair price to offer her? I'm thinking $100 is too low, but for $200 I could get a new Heritage convertible that also has a four click trigger pull and which, considering how I baby my firearms, would outlive me despite the alloy frame. Thoughts?

Keith

I'll consider joining over there. I have enough of their firearms :) .

Until then, here are some pics:

Keith

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

In that condition, I probably wouldn't go over $150 to $175, assuming everything is functional. If it was trying to help out a widow type thing, I may go to $200, but otherwise, $150 would be my best...

I'm gonna take it out and test it tomorrow at least to see how it shoots. Maybe after 40 or 50 rounds the 'gotta have it' feeling will go away. The bore looks great, and incredible there was not a spot of rust anywhere under the wood. I'm guessing it spent time stored in a damp leather holster.

Keith

I actually think $100 is closer to it's value if you were trying to trade it. The flaw with the grip would throw off some. My Colt Frontier Scout is in nicer condition and it's only a $150 gun according to an appraisal. Of course mine is a family gun, and if you are helping out someone else, that is worth a lot to you.

Well I have determined that I enjoy shooting single action revolvers, but its not going to be with this pistol. 1" 9-shot groups offhand at 10 yds. with a 1970 Ruger Standard vs. 6" 6-shot groups offhand at the same distance with the Single Six The bullets appear to be tumbling too. Probably cleaned aggressively from the muzzle. I'm glad I tried it out.

Edit: Well, maybe I spoke too soon. On a whim I dropped in a .22mag round and it fit. Apparently this is a .22mag cylinder. That would explain the groupings. There is nothing on the cylinder to indicate such though.

Keith

Last Edited:
The 22 mag cylinder should be marked as such--at least mine is. Keep in mind that if it is a pre '73 and unmodified, it will be worth more than a post '73. Assuming it functions properly, I would say the cash value is closer to $250. Try to find one for less than $300 anywhere.

The 22 mag cylinder should be marked as such--at least mine is. Keep in mind that if it is a pre '73 and unmodified, it will be worth more than a post '73. Assuming it functions properly, I would say the cash value is closer to $250. Try to find one for less than $300 anywhere.

I don't think they would replace the grips, but otherwise it looks like Ruger would polish and reblue this one for a reasonable amount of money...$160 including shipping if I am reading the chart right. To completely recondition it including grips would probably cost me in the neighborhood of $225 or so. I could definitely use these costs as a bargaining chip in a potential sale. Still, unless I got it for free, I think I could do better getting another used example that doesn't need all of this work and also has both cylinders.

I'm definitely going to try it out with .22 mag this weekend and see if the accuracy improves significantly. If it absolutely smokes with the .22 mag it might be worth rescuing it.

Ruger Service Fees

Keith

This is a older "three screw" model and would be more like $250 on Gunbroker even with the fair condition finish. Deduct if one of the cylinders is missing. If you have the 22mag cylinder that's good, the .22lr cylinders are easy to find.

singlesix01.jpg

You send it to Ruger ,they will change it over to transfer bar,and KEEP the old original parts,and those parts in good contition will bring a hundred bucks any day of the week.
that 'changeover' is despised by ruger people like myself. Yes,I know it's in the name of safety,but it's still not desirable by ruger lovers.
IT's too bad the gun was left unattended,Id say as described it's at best a 200.00 gun.

Where in the hell are you guys finding single sixes for 150 bucks? Ill take 5 lol. I know prices are inflated right now but I see them all the time over 300 and I've been looking. Decided to find me a heritage instead since I can bring myself to pay that for a .22. Also you should check out ruger forums.net personally I like it alot better then the other sight great guys on there.

I'm not finding a whole lot of actual 'bad' out there about the Heritage guns, mostly just non-owners poopooing the alloy frames. Owners really seem to like them. $200 for a .22/,22 mag with an authentic 4-click trigger seems like a really good deal.

Keith

When looking at pricing, be sure you are looking at the Single Six, or the Super Single Six. As I recall it it, the Single Six had fixed sights, and no .22 mag cylinder. The Super Single Six had the adjustable sights and the .22 mag cylinder.

Can anyone confirm that Ruger keeps the old parts if the revolver is sent in for the Transfer Bar conversion ? I have a Super Single Six from about 1968 that requires I carry it on an empty chamber for safety.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top