JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will not share the clinical details or photos of what my brother experienced when he was attacked and seriously mauled by a big cat, but it changes ya man, seeing what a large predator can do to some one well armed and skilled in self defense! Lets just say, I have an extreme hate for those cats, and will remove them from circulation at any chance I get! I may or may not keep a full power lever action near by for just such an occasion, one which I do plan to suppress soon! I would guess a .45 cal 350 grainer running right up to 1050 fps aught to do a purty good job on said offender cat!

You dont need an electronic call. You can save a lot of money buying a closed reed call. You just have to be kind of hidden and hold still while calling. Fwiw, i know a lot of people have killed a lot of predators with ecallers, but i never called in squat with one. Hand calls have worked much better for me.

I have a couple e-callers and several hand calls. After calling in one long tailed cat with a hand call, I'll probably never do it again. I want the sound to be at least 75 yards from me. Remember, this is a cat, and when you call it it with a hand call, it's going to come to YOU. If you are using a prey sound, you will not hear it coming, and there is a very good chance you won't see it until it's right on top of you. If you insist on using a hand call for cougar, contact Steve Tormella. He goes by "Rainshadow" or "Rainshadow 1" on most outdoor forums. He builds THE cougar hand call in my opinion. He also has some fantastic e-caller files for those of us that have learned our lesson.

I have a couple e-callers and several hand calls. After calling in one long tailed cat with a hand call, I'll probably never do it again. I want the sound to be at least 75 yards from me. Remember, this is a cat, and when you call it it with a hand call, it's going to come to YOU. If you are using a prey sound, you will not hear it coming, and there is a very good chance you won't see it until it's right on top of you. If you insist on using a hand call for cougar, contact Steve Tormella. He goes by "Rainshadow" or "Rainshadow 1" on most outdoor forums. He builds THE cougar hand call in my opinion. He also has some fantastic e-caller files for those of us that have learned our lesson.

I won't be calling them directly to me. That's too close for comfort.

I'm leaning towards using some live chickens for bait (in a predator-proof cage). Everything loves to eat chickens.

Live bait, including children ( learned that the hard way) is illegal.

Ssshhh...

F47B6A25-3679-4894-B2D5-F9368F957097.gif

Have you had any success with that?
Just got the whistle, ill be using it starting april 1st. Tried doing the whistle just a few times last year, after my fawn calling. Ended up filling my tag 20 minutes into a stand doing fawn bleats, before i got to the whistle. I intend to start ending all of my sets with some whistling from now on.

Heres a lion whistling in my back yard.

Last Edited:
I've called in three, (that I saw), with Steve's hand call whistle.

This is just my experience, I'm no expert. When using a cougar sound, they tend to come in with their head up, looking around for the cat that's making that sound. They aren't being very cautious. Depending on the time of year, and the sex of the cat, they are either going to fight it, or f!$k it.

If you hand call with prey sound, they come sneaking in with their belly on the ground, because this is how they make a living. Soooo slow, and patient, that you see no movement, there's nothing coming.... then they just appear out of thin air, when you least expect it.

They seem to approach from behind me, uphill, and to my right. As a right handed shooter, that where I DON'T want it to be.

Judging by tracks, I've called in a about a dozen cats. I've only seen 4.

Good to know
I'll have to look into that.
Couple summers ago, we were out camping by a lake and I heard a cat in heat going off
Later that afternoon we left the camp ground to go to near by OHV and no more than 200 out side of camp was a big Tom laying down across the black top. At first I thought it was dead deer across the road then it stood up and Saw it big tail. Probably resting from busting a nut. Had a tag and my 9 in the door.
But not fast enough to get out and maybe out of range

I grew up in Sisters when people thought hiking with llamas was a good idea. It isn't.
Back then Richardson's Ranch had a huge issue with lion sightings and attacks on their place.(First major breeder in US)
I knew a few dedicated lion hunters who swore by scent bait. Llama and Alpaca scent. He would collect all the shorn wool and trimmings - and then cut it up in a blender. Apparently it worked. Well. Too well. Suffice it to say - you don't want to keep trash bags of blended llama wool in your garage - when you border Three Sisters Wilderness.

There's a huge alpaca farm just south of Crooked River ranch and I've always wondered how many they lose to lions each year.
As I've heard of a lot out that way.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads