JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have never shot a practical rifle course. One day I would like to get out to Tri County and have a go.

Are there any preliminary requirements?
What are the stations like?
How many rounds for a match?
How much does it cost?
What kind of equipment/provisions do I need?

Thanks, for the replies in advance.
Reacher

Did you check out this thread?
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5718

PR changes every month.
Stations are very different. They are set up so a person has to shoot and eliminate targets from difficult positions, like you might have to actually do to save your life.
Cost is $13 + $2 tip for the score-keeper.
Round count depends on how good a shot you are. Could be 50 rounds, could be 150.
You will need a sighted in rifle, 3-4 mags, knee pads, gun case, chamber flag, eyes, ears, good attitude toward safety.

This game probably has the strictest safety requirements out of any other shooting sport.

You will be running through rocks, and may have to lay down in mud to get your shot off, so wear clothes that you don't mind getting dirty.

There is a night match every year that is shot after dark. You cannot attend unless you have shot PR before. It is fantastic to be able to compete in the pitch-black.
I don't know of any other sport that you can do this.

Your first time is kind of intimidating(I know I was)

Get out there with your stuff and do it. You will be amazed how helpful and friendly everyone is.

Most people want to go watch a match first, they all regret not just shooting the match.

It's easier to get into than you think.

I shot my first match this month. I had a great time and like coctailer said. Dont watch for your first one. Just bring your gun and your big boy pants and have a good time. You will be assigned a "mentor" your first time to help with anything you need and to make sure you are being safe and fallowing the rules. This person is a great tool to have. I got alot of good info from them. The last match I think I went through about 60 rounds. I would show up with at least 150 just to be safe. Another thing to add, a mag pouch or large pockets are nice to have.

+1
Gear is good.
If you have a Tac-Vest, it will come in handy.
Lots of guys just put the extra mag in their back pocket. Works well.
You can have lots of gear, or no gear. I don't think it makes much difference unless you are one of the top contenders to win.
I am not one of those guys.

I am thinking of gettin a tac vest or drop leg ar pouch for the next time I compete. I was using a modified AK mag pouch my first time as well as my pockets and I felt I could have been faster on the mag change with a better set up. Also a good way to go is a mag coupler if you dont mind the extra weight. If you have that I would recommend using it

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top