JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Look up the owners manuels online and they will tell you one way or the other...

I try not to take opinions about stuff like that from internet people for safety sake.

Good luck either way;)

Anyone know if a Colt Trooper III and S& W model 19 will take .38 special +P ammo?
These should both be chambered for .357 Magnum, which is usually a higher pressure load than the .38sp +p. So The . 38 sp should not be a problem other than the carbon ring buildup from from the shorter .38 case which can impede the clambering of the longer .357 case. One caveat though. Avoid 110-125 grain bullets in the mod. 19. The thin area at the bottom of the forcing cone can crack if it is subjected to a diet of these lighter/faster bullets. You can find numerous articles on this subject.
Best,
Gary

As Scotty always said "She'll take it and take some more!".

thedoomsdaymachinehd0224.jpg

Here's where the confusion starts. 125 gr and less "may" eventually cause forcing cone problems when shooting high-potency .357 rounds, but when shooting .38 Special, even +P, it is a non-issue.

I wouldn't shoot heavy loads in either gun. But that's just me.
And I don't mean don't shoot 357 but as stated some loads may cause problems. I'd just shoot target ammo and maybe carry it with some defense ammo.
But the beauty of the 357 is even the target stuff is gunna put a bad hurtin on a bad guy or beast

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top