JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello, I bought an I&J top break at a local pawn shop earlier today. I am having a really hard time dating it.
It's plastic owl grip, hammerless, no safety, Nickle plate, 3 large pins and one small pin on lower, 3.25 barrel. I was told it's a .38 s&w. Serial number D646xx.
Thank you!

IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0510.JPG IMG_0511.JPG

I have researched like crazy and from what I've found. It all points away from being black powder. That's the issue I'm having. Black powder top breaks don't have coil spring, owls head isn't straight, and the cylinder is a smokeless cylinder. I understand how the cylinder and grips could have been switched, but the cylinder fits nicely (no wiggle and spins easy) and the coil spring

I dated one on this site and some members helped with posting info from the Goforth book. It is apparently the definitive source.

I am in search of a firing pin nut and some dies to load some weak trail boss plinkers. I was also thinking of shooting some primer powered paraffin bullets in the garage with it.

I have researched like crazy and from what I've found. It all points away from being black powder. That's the issue I'm having. Black powder top breaks don't have coil spring, owls head isn't straight, and the cylinder is a smokeless cylinder. I understand how the cylinder and grips could have been switched, but the cylinder fits nicely (no wiggle and spins easy) and the coil spring

No I mean the steel that was made late 1800's isnt strong enough for modern smokeless powder. If you want to fire it, use a cartridge that has black powder in it like this one

38 S&W Black Powder Ammo .358" 150 Grain RN Hollow Base Bullet (THIS IS NOT 38 SPECIAL) Box of 50

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top