JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Welcome to NFA purgatory. Since the ATF reassigned examiners, we all *should* have Sandra Snook. The wait times for her are currently around 3.5 months for pending to approved and 4.5 months from check cashed to approved. Check out NFATracker.com they have a lot of info.

Last time I submitted a Form 4, I kept close track. These are the type of responses I got:
* Not on the system; will take 30-45 days to be on the system.
* Pending as of xx/xx, not assigned
* Pending as of xx/xx, assigned to Mr./Mrs. ????
* Approved as of yy/yy. Examiner will mail within 30 days upon approval.

Sounds like the examiners have become complacent again. I thought we were through with the long waits after they moved the NFA branch out of D.C. proper a few years back and many of the old (read lazy) staff didn't transfer to the new location. Just after the move we saw many approvals completed in about 6 weeks and a few slide through in just over 30 days. Looks like we are returning to the bad old days...

Last year, my SBR took about 42 days to get the approval back. I think there has been a surge in applications, not just with WA approving supressors, but with general enthusiasts who realize how easy it is to legally obtain an NFA item.

Sounds like the examiners have become complacent again. I thought we were through with the long waits after they moved the NFA branch out of D.C. proper a few years back and many of the old (read lazy) staff didn't transfer to the new location. Just after the move we saw many approvals completed in about 6 weeks and a few slide through in just over 30 days. Looks like we are returning to the bad old days...

A few months ago they did a major shake up to the way stamps are assigned to examiners. Under the old system it was assigned by the first letter of the transferring dealers name, now it's assigned by state. Things have slowed down quite a bit during the transition, and there's also been an increase in the volume of forms submitted while the number of examiners hasn't changed.
I had a Form 4 submitted in Feb clear in under 3 months mailbox to mailbox, one submitted in June took about two weeks longer. Not a significant increase, but I expect it will get longer before it gets better.

I see that NFATracker.com has some updated info for Snook (WA & OR) Examiner. It looks like most Forms 4's are taking right around 4 months based on reported data. However, with Thanksgiving and Christmas ahead you can be sure that productivity will go down.

I guess I have been lucky.

My recent purchase of a sear thru my SOT, I mailed the paperwork Oct. 1 / it was entered into the system Oct.6th / accepted Nov.2nd / received signed form in the mail Nov. 4th.

My SBR last June only took 14 days. (I mailed the paperwork mid-June and received paperwork June 30th). That blew my socks off!

Another SBR earlier this year on a form 1; done by me took 3 months total.

But you are right, since they have gone to covering by states; it has slowed down over the past few months.

It means that they can take as long as they want to....
Totally sucks, i just wish we had people in the government that liked guns and don't think every body that likes or has guns are BAD GUYS or are going to do BAD THINGS with them.

I'm just glad they haven't increased the $200 to adjust for inflation from 1934 prices :) But they should repeal it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top