JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am looking at a Marauder refills. Do you guys think a compressor cost makes it a better shooting fit than a 18 cu ft bottle that only gives you 13 fills? Then trek to some one with a compressor to re-fill the bottle.

Depends entirely on how much you intend/expect to be shooting. When I first started with PCP's, the small, inexpensive compressors weren't available, which left a tank of some sort or a hand pump. After some research, I ended up leasing an industrial nitrogen cylinder, 443 cu. ft. at 4500 PSI. Even with multiple air guns to fill, I'd get 6 months or so on a tank. Not very portable, but I did most of my shooting on my own property, and for the occasional forays afield, if I was concerned about running out of air, I'd just take another rifle.

There's some additional upsides to using nitrogen. It's inert, so no chance of damaging any seals, and no possibility of combustion if you somehow got a petroleum based lube in the air tube. It's bone dry, so no moisture accumulating in you rifle, I've seen quite a bit of internal corrosion on Marauders filled by pump. And finally, I think my rifles shot a tiny bit faster and more consistently on nitrogen vs. air, but that's just an impression, I have no proof.

And now I'll actually answer your question :rolleyes:. If you can afford a compressor, that's definitely the way to go, especially as air guns are addictive, and if the Mrod is your first, it won't be your last. You'll still need a tank for those trips afield, but even a small pony bottle will get you 5 or 6 fills, and that's plenty for a days shooting. For the ultimate in portability and being untethered, a hand pump is the way to go, but it's a definite workout, and even with a good moisture trap, you're going to want to make a habit of tearing the rifle down periodically to making sure everything is clean and dry. Hope that helps.

Dave

Nice summary Dave! I have an old scuba tank that I use but frustrated that I could not keep the pressure up near 3000 without having the tank topped up. Seems I needed the tank "certified" at the dive shop too often. I bought of of the cheaper hand pumps and am much happier now... I don't mind the exercise, its not as hard as I had heard and I can top off easily and portably when ever. My .22 Marauder is still v effective on vermin at 2500psi. I could not justify compressor $, but would love to have one Io fill my tank. If knew a private party near me with one I would gladly pay for fills. Youre wecome to try my hand pump if you like.

Nitrogen sounds like it might be the way.
Was 443 cu ft the smallest tank?
Thanks for the help,
Do the paint gun places with 3000psi offer any help, I think the large tank needed would be a good chunk of buying the compressor.(I guess paintball users do it at 3000psi)

3000 isn't going to help much if your rifle is tuned for a 3K PSI fill, my .25 Mrod is tuned for 3200. I leased my nitrogen tank from a local welding supply house, Oxarc, I think they're just North Central WA, you'd need to check local sources. Don't know if a smaller tank is available, that one is the size of a typical large welding tank. Cost for lease and nitrogen worked out to around $200/yr, but like I said, I had multiple rifles and shot a LOT.

If you're going to use any size portable tank, you definitely want one of the newer carbon fiber SCBA tanks that take a 4500 PSI fill. They're expensive up front, and last I checked, they only have a 15 years life span from date of manufacture, regardless of how much use they've had. You'll also need to buy a fill whip, by the time you get tank and whip, you're probably up around the $500 mark. And then you still need to find a place to get it filled, I don't know if the paint ball shops would be any help, you'd need to call around. Some dive shops can also fill to 4500, and some folks have even been able to get tanks filled at their local fire station, although you might need to supply an adapter for your particular tank.

You have a couple of options in compressors, either a dive shop type high pressure unit (expensive), or a booster like the Shoebox. The latter requires a second standard shop compressor, but must be oilless, and can fill to 4500 PSI. Price for the latest model is about $500, plus the cost of a shop compressor if you don't already have one. You can either fill you rifle directly from the Shoebox, or you can get a small SCBA tank, set that up to fill overnight, then fill your rifle from the tank. Did I mention this all adds up in a hurry :rolleyes:? The hand pump is still the cheapest way to go, even the top of the line Hill is only about $250, and other than the occasional rebuild kit and moisture trap media, it's a one time cost. Goes anywhere, no electricity required, just takes muscle and weight. Later.

Dave

PS If you need links to sources for this stuff, let me know.

I have 7 air guns, I started with the 18cu tank, , I purchased a Air Venturi large compressor and a 74CU tank. The compressor was well worth it, it allows me to top off my tanks or my rifles. If you need a place to fill I am in Beaverton, I can fill a tank for you. I have tried the portable compressors not worth it IMHO, as they cannot fill a tank and when I was at range the sucker can quickly drain your battery unless you run your engine. The AV has never failed runs great when I total my costs to have the airsoft place fill my tank for 12 months I could have purchased to of these compressors.

Thanks for that info bthurman.
I have a paintball range 20 miles away, but your help may just push me to a reliable compressor. Makes sense.
Thanks for the input.

If you want to try before you buy you are welcome to come check out my compressor and tank setup. Fill your guns and see if it is the solution for you. I can help you with a supplier that could save you a few bucks on a certified tanks well.

Dave nailed it! I personally ran with a 80cf aluminum SCUBA for about 5 years. I had a .25Mrod also... now that I have moved onto a .22 Wildcat and a .22 Bantam Sniper HP....I need more psi. I had to move onto a Nomadii portable. I just wish I had done it sooner. Yes, they do break. As do all micro pumps. That's A LOT of work being done by such small parts.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top