JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got out a little yesterday in spite of the 45 degrees, wind and spitting snow to try some different loads in my PCC.

While it has been shooting fine with Unique I wanted to try a couple loads with faster, typical pistol powders such as Titegroup and Bullseye.

The rounds noted by the arrows are a 2nd set of shots with 4 grains of Titegroup and are similar to the first set (not show) with regard to consistency and accuracy.

The shots below the bullseye are with 5 grains of Unique and while not a particularly tight group it's obvious they are more consistent than those with Titegroup and under better conditions would be much tighter - as I have already shot with the PCC. These were loaded with 125 grain PRN bullets.

A run of 10 rounds with 4.2 grains of Bullseye with some Speer 125 grain JRN bullets (not shown) was similar to those with the Titegroup powder and I have concluded the PCC prefers rounds loaded with a bit slower powder such as the Unique.

These were shot at 50 yards as well.

img20200607_14442102.jpg

I've chronod my titegroup loads, lets say the spread wasn't anything spectacular. I don't exactly load them for precision. Mostly just to go bang and cycle my action. If they are as accurate as a 6" plates at 50 yards (usually the longest shot in speed steel) in good.

My most accurate loads were using Hornady FMJs and CFE pistol. CFE flows pretty consistently and the spread on the chrono was around 50fps. Out of my PCCs I can get 1-2" groups with it at 50 yards.

I'll soon be an owner of a bolt action chambered in 9mm. Once I get that thing, I may take a serious look at seeing what can be done with the available components for 9mm (and maybe 350 legend) to stretch the things precision.

Not sure what mine chrono at or what the powder charge is right now but my PCC will put about a ½ dollar group at 50 (little larger than ½ dollar) using the red dot.

My powder load is on the lighter end. The takedown variants I have don't like high velocity, makes too much barrel harmonics. I've found this across the PC-9, TD 10/22 and Charger.

If powder spread was 4.5-6 for xyz powder, I'd be running about 4.7gr. Nice and soft tends to work well in it.

I buy factory 9mm
For a pcc9 Rainier. Just got it together. 1in 10 twist

I'm thinking 147gr is going to shoot best. I use factory Sig, Magtech, or Seller& B
124 gr mag n. Then on to 147gr.

but my PCC will put about a ½ dollar group at 50
I have had similar results with my Ruger PCC shortly after I got it but I was shooting jacketed Hornady XTP bullets in my loads.

These are my first tests with plated and I am sure I can get similar results with them when it warms up a bit for more comfortable shooting!

Cool & windy with cold hands do not make for quality - or accurate shooting!

I have found that my reloads are only marginally more accurate than the cheapest 9mm in my Glock 19 and Extar EP-9. I used to shoot GSSF matches and with .40 S&W, I could get substantial improvements in accuracy and recoil with reloads. When I switched to 9mm, my most accurate reloads were nearly identical in recoil to .40 S&W match loads. So I just bought cheap 9mm.

For my Extar, I had similar results. The Federal Brass 115gr from Walmart produced some impressive accuracy. Since Walmart got all "woke", I have not found the same ammo locally for anywhere close to the price WM sold it for.

But the Extar loved that stuff!

IMG_20190424_155035935_HDR.jpg

xkN01G4XT5-xds-HqfrTdw.jpeg

Interesting thread, thanks to everyone that has contributed. I have considered recently to start hand loading 9x19mm again (haven't done so in ~30 years.)

Reno, 9mm bolt action rifle? Never heard of such a beast! Do tell us more! Pics?

Thanks!

I'll soon be an owner of a bolt action chambered in 9mm. Once I get that thing, I may take a serious look at seeing what can be done with the available components for 9mm (and maybe 350 legend) to stretch the things precision.

Interesting thread, thanks to everyone that has contributed. I have considered recently to start hand loading 9x19mm again (haven't done so in ~30 years.)

Reno, 9mm bolt action rifle? Never heard of such a beast! Do tell us more! Pics?

Thanks!
Not in my possession as of yet. At the smith getting converted.

Google Special Interest Arms Novem 9.

So I just bought cheap 9mm.
after years of searching and coming up with less performance than the effort of seeking 'better' took, I've rather adopted the cheap Blazer factory loads in preference.

Despite some rather extensive recipe testing in a variety of pistols, I never did find 147g load that satisfied.

Did discover unexpected: I reallyReallyREALLY dislike loading 9mm regardless of recipe. So much so I'd rather buy Blazers.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews