JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are actual face to face class is just lecture or take test too?

Oregon law does not require testing.
Some courses involve a test, some do not.

In my courses there is no test. I assume people that attend are adults and want to learn.
There is opportunity during, at the end and afterwards by email, phone or f2f to ask questions/clarification.

If you choose to come to my class and sleep through it, that's your problem, not mine.

(Actually, I tend to do mostly one on one courses, so I would definitely notice if you went to sleep :) )

I just did my course and permit this month:
beaver creek armory puts on classes frequently, 40 bucks for OR requirements.
Then I filed for permit through WCSO and got my permit in 22 days. 105 bucks total spent.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Sorta the same question hariph..I live in the couve too...Need to get CHL for oregon..there is a Sherriff from Grant county oregon that comes here to Vancouver hazel dell area to issue permits..Not sure if multnomah county will just take your money and deny your application because they are not beholden to non residents...Just some thoughts I asked the same question i guess..

I would have to say Multnomah County Sheriffs office is the way to go and just take the class they offer. I live in Seattle area and a WA resident, had to go down to Portland for work so made appointment to apply for my permit while I was down there for work. Set appointment, went down with my $60, drivers license, passport and training certificate (from class taken for Arizona permit), in and out in 15 minutes flat. Everyone there was extremely nice and courteous. Had my permit in my mailbox 2 weeks and 2 days later. I think the horror stories I heard also about the Multnomah Sheriffs Office is either from a past Sheriff or just a carryover from a few having a bad experience and spreading the word as it will apply to everyone. I give Multnomah a big thumbs up! - G

I would have to say Multnomah County Sheriffs office is the way to go and just take the class they offer. I live in Seattle area and a WA resident, had to go down to Portland for work so made appointment to apply for my permit while I was down there for work. Set appointment, went down with my $60, drivers license, passport and training certificate (from class taken for Arizona permit), in and out in 15 minutes flat. Everyone there was extremely nice and courteous. Had my permit in my mailbox 2 weeks and 2 days later. I think the horror stories I heard also about the Multnomah Sheriffs Office is either from a past Sheriff or just a carryover from a few having a bad experience and spreading the word as it will apply to everyone. I give Multnomah a big thumbs up! - G

Cool. Good to hear.

Great thread.....was all excited to get my Oregon CHL since I work and do business in OR. I have my WA CPL (in addition to Florida & Arizona).
NOTE TO ANY OTHER LEGAL RESIDENT ALIENS.....I just read the ORD statutes after I noticed the Multnomah county application form specifically stated you must be a US citizen, no exceptions.... and crappers OREGON unlike all other states I have encountered don't allow legal resident aliens to apply.....only if you have applied for citizenship. Rules me and most others out. what BS.

(a)(A) Is a citizen of the United States; or

(B) Is a legal resident alien who can document continuous residency in the county for at least six months and has declared in writing to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services the intent to acquire citizenship status and can present proof of the written declaration to the sheriff at the time of application for the license;

I corresponded via e-mail with someone at the Multnomah County Sherriff's Office. She said my Hunters Safety Card would be ok. Sounds to good to be true? Anybody else go this route?
She didn't say anything about references, though?

I corresponded via e-mail with someone at the Multnomah County Sherriff's Office. She said my Hunters Safety Card would be ok. Sounds to good to be true? Anybody else go this route?
She didn't say anything about references, though?

It can work if the class addressed handgun safety.

Here's a post where I posted the relevant snippet of the law.
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/le...oregon-concealed-carry-permit.html#post488085

The app asks for references. It's actually part of the application in the ORS.

She confirmed that my Hunters Safety Card is, in and of it's self acceptable documentation/verification to constitute training, qualifying me for a CHL.

I sent my app. & letter via email today. Hope to hear back soon! I'll keep this updated.

Thanks

Well I emailed my app. & letter yesterday (sunday eve.), got a call today (monday @ 1030). I'm going in this friday, to pay my fee, get fingerprinted and photographed, etc...
I was hoping for quick, this pretty much qualifies.
Will keep this updated.

Thanks

Just left MCSO, showed them my WA. DL, WA. CHL, and Hunters Safety Card. Photo, fingerprints, $65 and 10 minutes later, all done. They said everything was good, I'll get my card in 2-4 weeks. Really nice people and experience all the way around.

Pass on the lessons to other people. Too many think it's a huge ordeal.

Agreed, it appeared to me from all the post I had seen that it was practically impossible to get your permit as a non Oregonian from the Multnomah Sheriffs Office. Nothing could have been further from the truth. I don't mean to take anything away from Sheriff Palmer in Grant County Oregon who is kind enough to make the trip to WA to help us get an Oregon permit, he has my deep gratitude. Im just stating that the Multnomah Sheriffs Office is top notch to work with also. No hassels, no BS and nice people.

I got my permit there and would tell anyone else to do the same. Multnomah gets a big thumbs up from me. Also had a friend at work do the same recently and he had the same great experience I did and he is a resident of Alaska! - G

I've had my Oregon permit for many years, think I'm on my third renewal. Still has never been a problem getting it, even the first one close to 20 years ago as I remember.

Anybody had luck using the MD firearms safety training course for Multnomah County? I just completed the class and pick up my app. Wondering if they would accept or turn me down

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top