JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got my notice in the mail the other day that my OR, Wash. Co. CHL is up for renewal in Late Dec. I am currently recovering from some reconstructive surgery on my left foot so I really have no way to get to the courthouse unless my wife packs me up and hauls me there. The renewal clearly states that only active duty military can renew by mail, but I called to see if they make any exceptions for the handicapped. When I asked them if there were any exceptions they said no. I could let my license lapse and renew it when I was up and around with no penalty, but it would be illegal for me to carry concealed until I renewed.

This kind of ticked me off, but the gal at the CHL office was just reciting the law as written so I figured it wouldn't do any good to chew on her. It's just frustrating that they apparently don't give a **** if you are handicapped. Oh well. Rant over on that piece.

I did find out that there has been a change since last year (at least last year is what she said) where not only do you have to bring your driver' license and previous CHL in when you renew, but you also have to bring proof of citizenship such as a US Passport, US Birth Certificate, or Naturalization papers. When did they slip that one through? It's no problem for me, but it looks like they just put up another unneeded road block for CHL holders to renew.

BTW, it you do chose to use a passport for proof of citizenship, it does not have to be current, you can use and expired passport.

Anyways, FYI.

I need to do a change of address on my CHL and when I called them last week, they said I had to make an appointment. I called a few days ago and they told me I can just come in lol..... I also found out I can conceal carry into the building on my way to the CHL office and I was surprised to hear that.

The proof of citizenship also applies when you renew your drivers license. You must take in birth certificate or passport, SS card and utility bill as proof of residence. And, remove your glasses for the picture. The new pics are computerized facial recognition. Yep they will now have this in addition to your fingerprints. I was told that this is a one time thing and once you renew will all of this, it will not be required next time. But by then they will probably require a DNA sample.

The proof of citizenship also applies when you renew your drivers license. You must take in birth certificate or passport, SS card and utility bill as proof of residence. And, remove your glasses for the picture. The new pics are computerized facial recognition. Yep they will now have this in addition to your fingerprints. I was told that this is a one time thing and once you renew will all of this, it will not be required next time. But by then they will probably require a DNA sample.

Interesting: I wonder what they are going to do with their green card aliens? I was a green card for many years before I became a citizen...never heard of a requirement that you be a citizen to drive a car (or own a gun) and yes, this includes Oregon. I got my very first driver's license in Oregon as a green card (but was never asked for it). I didn't get my citizenship until I returned from my 18 month all expense paid tour of SE Asia in 1969.

Interesting: I wonder what they are going to do with their green card aliens? I was a green card for many years before I became a citizen...never heard of a requirement that you be a citizen to drive a car (or own a gun) and yes, this includes Oregon. I got my very first driver's license in Oregon as a green card (but was never asked for it). I didn't get my citizenship until I returned from my 18 month all expense paid tour of SE Asia in 1969.

You have to prove you're in the country legally for OR to issue/renew a driver's license. There's other documents that work if you have a green card or work visa. A green card holder can drive a car and own guns.

It's not just the CHL, you need proof of citizenship to get any form of ID now.

Only in Oregon. Washington will still give ID out to anyone who claims to live here. Now we might as well say the same thing about CPL's.. there is no way to verify residency or legal status.

Be grateful that within the next decade there will be no more illegals possessing Oregon Drivers Licenses. Just wish we would do that here.. there are dudes with 4 or 5 DL's. DOL is just now starting to crack down on that with facial recognition...

Only in Oregon. Washington will still give ID out to anyone who claims to live here. Now we might as well say the same thing about CPL's.. there is no way to verify residency or legal status.

Be grateful that within the next decade there will be no more illegals possessing Oregon Drivers Licenses. Just wish we would do that here.. there are dudes with 4 or 5 DL's. DOL is just now starting to crack down on that with facial recognition...

I didn't mean it to sound like I have a problem with providing proof of US citizenship to get a CHL, to the contrary, I am perfectly OK with it. My biggest problem is that I am temporarily handicapped and they offer no option to renew via mail unless you are active duty military. It's just a hassle as my wife will have to take off work, as will I, to cart me down there. That being said, I will jump thru the hoops and work it out.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top