JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First question is "How much can you afford to spend?" You can get "night vision" scopes for a few hundred dollars, but they're Gen 1 and won't really work without an IR illuminator. If you happen to have more money than you know how to spend, you should look into the thermal scopes. And there are a lot of choices in between the two.

Jim

Probably not going to spend enough to go thermal but would like to spend enough to get a good gen 2 or a gen 3. I also would like to get a multiplier.

If you don't go thermal, go 3rd gen.

The sting of expensive priced optics that can't get you through the house without "shinning" a coffee table, stings for a long time.

I've never understood the "multipliers" or magnifiers because everyone I have seen is between the NVD and the person viewing the NVD.

To me, that is like using a monocular to look at a television (most NVDs being a "screen" on the view side of the NVD, not an optic that you look *through*) - it just makes the screen and dots on the screen larger.

Personally, unless I find a good deal (there is/was a third gen PVS14 for sale here at a good price) when I can afford it, I will continue to wait for the prices to come down. In general, most technology continues to get better and less expensive over time. Eventually I hope to be able to buy a thermal/NV weapon sight that can double as a helmet mounted device, for less than $2K.

But my target use is not hunting, it would be for self-defense in a SHTF situation. Until such time as weapon sights like that become affordable, I will use NV surveillance cams and illumination around my property.

For hunting, an NVD with an illuminator should be fine as you wouldn't be worried about an attacker seeing you.

If you're willing to cough up the $$ for Gen 3, then seriously consider thermal sights. Some of the sights by FLIR are in the same price range as a mid-range Gen 3 scope.

The advantage to a thermal scope is that it makes anything warm-blooded stand out; night vision gives a sharper image, but it can be very hard to pick an animal out of a cluttered background.

Jim

Prices for NV haven't really come down in quite some time. If you want to wait for that, you'll be waiting a long time. Gen 3 is what I would suggest. Would be more versatile to use Gen 3 with IR laser and helmet combo than just getting a NV scope. $3400ish for Gen 3 unit from TNVC, DBAL i2 is what I have and its a solid unit. runs $750ish. Solid and versatile.

Dang!! :eek: I just heard on the radio this morning that FLIR makes a thermal imaging contraption that works on an iPhone for about >$200... after a bit more research daddy may have some new capabilities in the night! :D

<broken link removed>

image.jpg

Perhaps some of you heard or know of this one.
I met a gent at the range who was tuning his NVIR scope on his AR. He also had a dongle he was entering data into, which fed it into the scope.
IIRC, it cost $6,500.

Said it automatically did ballistics calculations based on bullet data he entered, auto ranging of the target, and would make the necessary adjustments to your reticle.
Boasted the other night he was picking off yotes on the run, at 600 yards!

Too rich for my bank account, but if I ever wanted a SHTF device, capable of being mounted on my GoTo rifle, that would be one of them.

Dang!! :eek: I just heard on the radio this morning that FLIR makes a thermal imaging contraption that works on an iPhone for about >$200... after a bit more research daddy may have some new capabilities in the night! :D

<broken link removed>

View attachment 240958

I'd have too much fun videoing people farting at the mall. That is, if I ever went to a mall.....

I am of two minds:

I like the PVS 14 because it is multi use (weapon or head mounted) and you can see any IR laser or Flashlight as well (ones you are using or ones pointed at you-- YIKES :eek:)

But having a dedicated one for a rifle makes it so you can use it as a sighting device as well as a seeing device.

If I had my way, I would likely go Gen 1 on the rifle scope, because it can use the starlight and moonlight and work for the purposes you want. If you are looking for something more high speed, I would save my pennies for a Gen 2 device that suits your purposes, either specifically or generally.

I was given a Gen 1 Russian night vision scope and after a few internet searches, I found out that they have the tendencies to give you eye cancer.
It's sitting on a shelf and I don't have the moxie to pawn it off to someone else.
Now I know why it was free.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads