Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Opinions on night vision please.

Discussion in 'Scopes & Optics' started by Master17, May 30, 2015.

1. Master17

Master17 Salem Member

I'm getting ready to buy a night vision rifle scope. I would appriciate any opinions. Just planning on using it for dogs and coons. Thanks

2. JamesRL

JamesRL Beaverton Active Member

First question is "How much can you afford to spend?" You can get "night vision" scopes for a few hundred dollars, but they're Gen 1 and won't really work without an IR illuminator. If you happen to have more money than you know how to spend, you should look into the thermal scopes. And there are a lot of choices in between the two.

Jim

Stomper and Darkker like this.
  3. Master17

Master17 Salem Member

Probably not going to spend enough to go thermal but would like to spend enough to get a good gen 2 or a gen 3. I also would like to get a multiplier.

4. Darkker

Darkker Mesa, Wa Active Member

If you don't go thermal, go 3rd gen.

The sting of expensive priced optics that can't get you through the house without "shinning" a coffee table, stings for a long time.

5. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

I've never understood the "multipliers" or magnifiers because everyone I have seen is between the NVD and the person viewing the NVD.

To me, that is like using a monocular to look at a television (most NVDs being a "screen" on the view side of the NVD, not an optic that you look *through*) - it just makes the screen and dots on the screen larger.

Personally, unless I find a good deal (there is/was a third gen PVS14 for sale here at a good price) when I can afford it, I will continue to wait for the prices to come down. In general, most technology continues to get better and less expensive over time. Eventually I hope to be able to buy a thermal/NV weapon sight that can double as a helmet mounted device, for less than $2K.

But my target use is not hunting, it would be for self-defense in a SHTF situation. Until such time as weapon sights like that become affordable, I will use NV surveillance cams and illumination around my property.

For hunting, an NVD with an illuminator should be fine as you wouldn't be worried about an attacker seeing you.

John Gault likes this.
  6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Gen-3..... $$$$ and more $$$$

OpticsPlanet.com carries a huge selection of NV scopes and such.

7. Master17

Master17 Salem Member

I will definately will pay the extra for a gen 3.

8. JamesRL

JamesRL Beaverton Active Member

If you're willing to cough up the $$ for Gen 3, then seriously consider thermal sights. Some of the sights by FLIR are in the same price range as a mid-range Gen 3 scope.

The advantage to a thermal scope is that it makes anything warm-blooded stand out; night vision gives a sharper image, but it can be very hard to pick an animal out of a cluttered background.

Jim

Master17 likes this.
  9. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

10. The Heretic

And they won't be for some years after the military gets them.

But eventually something like that will be available.

11. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

Prices for NV haven't really come down in quite some time.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  12. The Heretic

The prices are slowly coming down. I looked at NVDs about 30 years ago and the prices were $5K to $10K for what is now $3K to 4K. Thermal sights were $15K to $20K - now they start at about $3500 (FLIR R-Series).

13. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Dang!! :eek: I just heard on the radio this morning that FLIR makes a thermal imaging contraption that works on an iPhone for about >$200... after a bit more research daddy may have some new capabilities in the night! :D

http://www.flir.com/flirone/explore.cfm

image.jpg

14. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Perhaps some of you heard or know of this one.
    I met a gent at the range who was tuning his NVIR scope on his AR. He also had a dongle he was entering data into, which fed it into the scope.
    IIRC, it cost $6,500.

Said it automatically did ballistics calculations based on bullet data he entered, auto ranging of the target, and would make the necessary adjustments to your reticle.
    Boasted the other night he was picking off yotes on the run, at 600 yards!

Too rich for my bank account, but if I ever wanted a SHTF device, capable of being mounted on my GoTo rifle, that would be one of them.

15. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'd have too much fun videoing people farting at the mall. That is, if I ever went to a mall.....

Stomper likes this.
  16. Deebow

Deebow Portland Well-Known Member

I am of two minds:

I like the PVS 14 because it is multi use (weapon or head mounted) and you can see any IR laser or Flashlight as well (ones you are using or ones pointed at you-- YIKES :eek:)

But having a dedicated one for a rifle makes it so you can use it as a sighting device as well as a seeing device.

If I had my way, I would likely go Gen 1 on the rifle scope, because it can use the starlight and moonlight and work for the purposes you want. If you are looking for something more high speed, I would save my pennies for a Gen 2 device that suits your purposes, either specifically or generally.

17. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Dang, looks like I'm gonna have to stay with a K-Mart flashlight and flailing yonder with semi-auto buckshot. woe

Wasniahc likes this.
  18. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I was given a Gen 1 Russian night vision scope and after a few internet searches, I found out that they have the tendencies to give you eye cancer.
    It's sitting on a shelf and I don't have the moxie to pawn it off to someone else.
    Now I know why it was free.