Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Older Lee 4 turret with "Turret slop"

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Dyjital, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

I picked up locally an older (from what it appears) 4 turret Lee press with the auto index for a price I couldn't pass up.

IMAGE_EBD0F3C3-4660-484F-AFDF-FC7170CD96C5.JPG

Upon setting it up with some .223 dies I realized that there is some slop in the turret. When pressing a case in for resizing or seating the bullet I get this gap:
    it's around .015" or so.

IMAGE_EBCA5567-BDC9-413F-A6B5-53EC09E92309.JPG

From what I have gathered it shouldn't be an issue, as the same gap will be accounted for in each round that's produced.

Thoughts?
    Options? New Turret?

I can get a replacement for $17, though would suck to replace one piece for nearly the cost of what I paid for the whole unit.

I should also add that this is not my precision press. This will be plinking loads for .223, .40 etc. Accuracy loads go in the single state.

2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Do you have a case gauge or rifle? Try the loaded rounds in either.

3. Dyjital

I think I've gotten it figured out. I don't see any issues with the slop as long as it's consistent and the dies are all set accommodating the same slop.

4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

That's the way it works. However, a traditional turret press, unlike a Lee, is essentially a sloppy "C" press, giving/yielding gross lateral runout.

5. My 3 sons

My 3 sons Bonney Lake Active Member

I have the same press and the slop is present on all turret I use. It doesn't effect any of the rounds made for the reasons you have already stated.

Dyjital and (deleted member) like this.
  6. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

How do the finished rounds "Measure up?" If there's no problem with them then don't even look at the press.

If you take a close look at Dillon Presses there's a similar amount of vertical movement on their interchangeable tool heads. As long as the tool heads are hitting a stop that doesn't vary from stroke to stroke, no worries.

Getting a replacement head will probably result in the same amount of slop.

7. Dyjital

Deadshot2,
    all rounds measure the same +\- .005-ish and that's with my poor measuring ability.

good point on the head. Since I don't know if the slop is in the turrets or head why replace what's working fine.

8. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

That's well within the average variance for most bullets if you're measuring from case head to tip (Meplat). If you were to use a comparator on your caliper (I'm assuming you might not be) then you'd probably find them a lot closer.

Of course you realize that the object in a man's life is to continually fix something until it's finally broken, don't you?:cool: