JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since there have been a couple recent discussions on cutting (or replacing) old shotgun barrels to riot gun length, here is a photo of my Remington Model 11. Manufacture date of 1914, it looks to have been refinished and there is a visible chip on the forearm so I wasn't worried about any collector value. I shortened the barrel to 20" and installed a new bead. Functions great - have used bird shot on tin cans and buckshot on cardboard- no problems with any of it. Lots of fun to shoot.

RemingtonModel11.jpg

Since there have been a couple recent discussions on cutting (or replacing) old shotgun barrels to riot gun length, here is a photo of my Remington Model 11. Manufacture date of 1914, it looks to have been refinished and there is a visible chip on the forearm so I wasn't worried about any collector value. I shortened the barrel to 20" and installed a new bead. Functions great - have used bird shot on tin cans and buckshot on cardboard- no problems with any of it. Lots of fun to shoot.

RemingtonModel11.jpg

=============================================

Looks nice OG, so I assume you now have what would be considered a barrel choke? How does the gun pattern as far as spread of the shot.

And when and where did you wrestle, I'm a bit of an Old Grappler myself. Hillsboro class of 1980.:)

No choke with the barrel cut like that - just a cylinder bore. Never actually measured the spread but seemed pretty close to the 1" per yard rule of thumb as I recall. Never wrestled, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for quite a few years. Old but still practice.

Gotcha, I was thinking if you cut a barrel with a pipe cutter it would cause the barrel to dimple in evenly and when you went to champher the cut, depending on how much chempering, you could in a sense create a modified choke, or at least a bit of a choke?

Gotcha, I was thinking if you cut a barrel with a pipe cutter it would cause the barrel to dimple in evenly and when you went to champher the cut, depending on how much chempering, you could in a sense create a modified choke, or at least a bit of a choke?

I used a hacksaw to cut the barrel then I dressed it with a file and some emery cloth. No choke on that barrel. I did use a pipe cutter on one shotgun. I tightened it very gradually as I cut to avoid putting too much squeeze on the barrel.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top