JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for a bolt action 22lr to put a scope on and just shoot for fun. At the local pawn shop, there is a old Glenfield model 25 that they are selling for $80.00. It is in very nice, clean shape, and feels tight and solid. On the other hand, BiMart has the Savage mkII with the accutrigger on sale for $159. Is it worth twice the price to get something newer, or did they make them better in the "old days". Did technology advance a lot in a .22 bolt rifle? The Glenfield was made in the mid 70's according to the pawn shop guy, and he said he would take that gun over a new Savage any day because it is much better quality. What do you guys think? I need help making a decision, so all opinons will be gratefully accepted. Thanks, Guy :s0152:

Going through this myself and a have looked at several older .22LR's and some new ones as well. The Savage Mark II FVT is what I've been interested in lately, but for a scope I would recommend the Mark II TR.

Others I've been drooling over...

Kimber Government 82
Mossberg M44 Trainer
Anschutz 1416 DKL

I have a Glenfield 25, it was my first gun when I was a kid. It's a good one, simple bolt action design and accurate. Finding magazines is hit and miss, but they're out there.

That's a personal thing, when I was young I wanted only new guns, but I mostly received hand me downs,
there was nothing wrong with them and they were great shooters, but there's something about a "new gun".
That said, I just bought a mauser from 1911, with the newest mauser in my collection from 1952, others are
from 1931, 1932, 1941, 1947, 1949, & 1951. I do love the ones I bought new and cherish them like the others.:s0155:

Guess it depends on what you are looking to do. With the Savage finding mags and mount a scope will probably be easier, if that is part of your consideration.

If you want just a nice simple bolt gun with open sights in a classic style, then go for the other.

I have lots of old and new stuff. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I decided to go with the new Savage because of the whole finding parts for it if it breaks, magazine availability, and just not knowing how abused the old one might be. Besides that, my wife wanted to buy it for me for Valentines Day. I love my wife!:s0152:

There's a Marlin 81DL on here for $150 I think. I''d try to weasel that guy down a bit and buy it.

I have one. Grew up shooting it. (it was Grandpa's gun) tube fed means no mag to worry about. Holds a lot of ammo. Very accurate. In fact, it's so accurate I have no desire to look for any other 22 rifle. I have a dine that I poked a hole in when I was a kid.

Oops, looks like I'm a little late. Hope that Savage is as good to you as my Marlin has been to me.:s0155:.

Old, always old.

honestly for the setup u want i think the newer gun is better. this is a hard one for me because the most accurate rifle i have shot to this day is the 1930's savage i inherited from my grandfather (no bias there at all ;) ). but i would never consider putting a scope on it, and for scoped newer is usually much easier. as far as wear & tear, they were better in "the old days" and a .22 really doesnt wear the same as the high caliber rifles, no shock to accompany the shot... i have some new guns & i will hand them down someday, but if it doesnt have rust on it it doesnt just fall in to my heart like the ones with real history.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top