JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have the exact same answer with a diagnosis of Alzheimer's too.

Or the dialysis machine. End of real life as you know it.

I remember the good old days in the early 60's when mom stored several plastic bottles in our basement filled with fresh water. We read the CD manuals and dad had a limited supply of ammo for our shotgun and .22 pump.

Not long ago, I read that a memo exists in which President Eisenhower is quoted as admitting that the US Civil Defense program was for PR and morale purposes only. In the age of the hydrogen bomb, it had little practical effect. The CD program generally was for the "benefit" of city dwellers. Most of whom would've been vaporized, burned to death or condemned to a slower death by radiation poisoning. They weren't building public CD shelters in Sunburst, Montana.

Supposedly the Soviets had a "better" CD program than the US had, with blast shelters and all. But now I wonder how much of that assessment was hype and how much was truth. Like many contemporary miss-calls on Soviet capabilities.

How about those big air raid sirens mounted on tall public buildings in the cities? Like the Chrysler Air Raid Siren, powered by a hemi-head Chrysler V-8 engine. There are guys now who collect those. Glad I don't have a neighbor with that hobby.

There are a multitude of ways to die from a nuclear exchange - a blast is only one way.
Radiation, lack of food and water, disease, looting/ rioting from those that want what you have, lack of medical care, nuclear winter.
Just a few that come to mind. I have no expectation to survive a major nuclear exchange.

This is all you need to know:

duck-and-cover-drill.jpg

Yeah...
Any plan that doesn't include travel to a safe, earth-like planet is a waste of time. Full on nuclear exchange is the end of humanity.
Roaches get to inherit the world after that.

I wonder if our greatest nuclear threat is internal -- you know, Gavin Newsom commandeers something out of San Diego and Omaha NB gets vaporized -- something like that.
Well, it's not without precedent...
Eric SwallowsWell brought it up about 2 years ago when he made that stupidass remark about "And it would be a short war, my friend. We got nukes!"

Well, it's not without precedent...
Eric SwallowsWell brought it up about 2 years ago when he made that stupidass remark about "And it would be a short war, my friend. We got nukes!"

That's why I wonder. The hate is palpable enough to make this topic into a question mark for me. Would they really do it? 20 years ago my knee jerk response would be "no" -- today I honestly don't know how far they'd go to "win".

There's a whole lot of safeguards that neither Newsome nor Swallwell are smart enough to breach. I certainly wouldn't worry about them

Now Pakistan China and India going at it worries me.:s0001:

How about those big air raid sirens mounted on tall public buildings in the cities? Like the Chrysler Air Raid Siren, powered by a hemi-head Chrysler V-8 engine. There are guys now who collect those. Glad I don't have a neighbor with that hobby.

When I was in Grade school in Seattle (mid 60's), every Wednesday at noon those large air raid sirens on the roof of the schools went off as a regularly scheduled drill.

Who the hell wants to SURVIVE a nuclear war?
I'd like to see what's on the other side of it. Seen enough movies that guess at the aftermath, but I'd kinda really like to know. Call me creepy... :p

I was 5, and living just North of Seattle when the Cuban missile crisis occurred. I don't really have specific recollections of that time, but I definitely remember my dad packing us up and moving us to the foothills 13 miles North of Medford the following spring. He built a little cabin and we spent the next 2.5 years depending on kerosene lamps and an outhouse for modern convenience. Had a rather large effect on my frame of mind since. I've wondered why we ended up there specifically...is it safer because of the caves...or is it something else about that particular location???
The only way somebody drops a nuke around there is for testing... that's why! :s0114:

Who the hell wants to SURVIVE a nuclear war?

It wouldn't be up to us.

Either we survive, or we don't. We'll survive if we can, we'll die if we can't.

Also, and notable, it'd be extremely unlikely we'd have ANY idea on how catastrophic it would be regionally, nationally & globally, if we did survive.

Most likely all forms of normal communications (for normal folks) would be out. Everything from grid/infrastructure destruction, EMP (even if not high altitude EMP devices) etc.

So most folks would only be able to know what they can actually see, or have seen.

Everything else would simply be rumor, unless one has access to HAM & hears news directly from sources pre-vetted or which one could reasonably vet.

I'd like to see what's on the other side of it. Seen enough movies that guess at the aftermath, but I'd kinda really like to know. Call me creepy... :p

Yah uhm, NOPE.

I seem to remember something about mineshafts, and women to men ratios and repopulating the free world... The Government has a plan!

TheDoctor.JPG

In grade school in Winnemucca Nevada (early 60's) we had duck and cover drills.

The practicality of it vaporized one day.

A huge explosion broke windows in our school, and I distinctly remember at least two classmates dislodged from their desks to the floor.
We were told it was a "sonic boom". We had sonic booms all the time from the jets out of Stead AFB (Reno) and Nellis (Vegas).

This weren't wunna them. Methinks part of Jack Kennedy's Science Fair project.

In junior high, our health classes included a federal government curriculum semester of nuclear aftermath survival. Roentgens, half-lifes, how to operate a Geiger Counter, the whole nine yards.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top