JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This Mosquito lake road closed after the flooding a few month ago. Can anyone confirm that the access roads to this pit are open now?

Heading there this weekend unless I hear that it's closed, I will update.

You have to have the Discover Pass...….and I have heard that it is enforced by the DNR LEO.
No discover pass needed that far up. Its well into the national forest at that point. Been going up there for years for hiking, fishing, hunting, and shooting. Only once have I ever ran into any authority and he was WAAAAAY up. Had a friendly convo and parted ways.

In the last couple years its gotten less than pleasant up there for me personally. Homeless, crackheads, and weirdos infested that area during the plandemic. Plus, and honestly more importantly, there were just more and more people, who had no business handling a firearm much less shooting one, who were going up there and shooting wherever they decided to stop. You'll see casings at almost every pullout or gate you come to,, but that does not mean its a safe or legal place to shoot. Most new folks up there don't realize the drive to the pit takes a while considering the road conditions. The last time I went up, there were two different sets of people shooting only feet off the road and much lower than they should have been. Until you hit the national forest its privately owned. You can buy day and annual passes from the companies online for your adventures. $10.00 for the day last I bought. I recommend doing so if you're not heading up that far so we can try to maintain our access to those areas. Most weekend warriors or one time plinkers don't care and like so many things it screws it up for the rest of us. Also A LOT of poaching up there so keep your eyes open for those turds.

As for the big pit itself, I always liked shooting there. Cool acoustics. My first time up was on a weekend and it was bananas! Tons of people, all with tables and tents, and all having a tailgate party. Wrong combination of fun things for this guy. I started planning my trips up for middle of the week only. Literally never had anyone else there shooting while I was. It was pretty pleasant. I also started going up during the winter. Nice drive up in the snow and almost guaranteed not to having any company at the pit.

Is the road up to the Pitt 2 lane or 1 lane? If 1 lane, is it pretty easy to let oncoming traffic by? Heights and 1 lane primitive roads give me a little anxiety.
1 lane, but its a pretty wide logging road. I never have had an issue passing someone that new what they were doing. Sometimes it can get a little snug when the hikers are driving back down in their high end SUVS and are afraid to get to close to either edge... 🤣

Thought I'd share some distressing news I just heard about North Fork. I hear it's going to be permanently closed due to "lead contamination".

This was posted on Reddit, so it's possible this information is incorrect. If anyone has more information, please share. I'm quite bummed, I've been shooting here for over a decade. This is the only good shooting spot I'm aware of.

Link to the Reddit thread if anyone's interested. The person says a fish and wildlife officer told him it will be closed while he was shooting there.

One has to wonder who instituted this situation...... Not likely the DFW.
It does seem strange to me. My gut tells me somebody is just trying to mess with shooters. First plantation and now North Fork, I have no idea where I'll be able to shoot 50-100 yards now.

In the thread, OP mentions that the cop told him people caught shooting there would have their guns temporarily confiscated. If you have standard capacity mags (30 round), legally they would not be able to return them to you.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.