JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you look in the right places. There are tons of primers for sale on Gunbroker. At highly inflated prices. I visit online sellers every day to check. Midway, Powder Valley, Wideners, Grafs, Mid-South, Sportsman's Warehouse, nothing available. I've sat and done the refresh thing every few minutes to see if it changes over time. Never does for me.

But, I suspect that some primers are getting from manufacturers into retail hands. It may be a matter of who gets them once they arrive at a retail store. I'm not connected, I don't know anybody who works in a retail sporting goods establishment. But I'm guessing that there are some who are connected that way. Their pal at the store saves the primers for them, the primers never make it to the shelves. And this is the source of supply for all those new primers diverted to Gunbroker.

I haven't yet figured out how to see actual closing sale prices on Gunbroker without saving the listing. But I've started to save listings to see what prices they close at. Looks like, depending upon brand, they are closing at around 13 to 20 cents a primer, not including shipping.

The following wasn't a closed sale, still open, but the worst I've seen. Buy-it-now price for 100 (one hundred) SP primers, $34.95 plus 24.95 for shipping. At your door, that would be very near 60 (sixty) cents per primer.

About shipping. I get the very strong sense most of the primer sellers on Gunbroker are not using hazmat handling. Most refer to surface shipping. $15 to $25 seems the range. But a few mention first class mail which I know is way off the beam. Some show "actual cost" shipping and that could mean anything.

We've had famines and shortages of reloading supplies before over the past, what is it now, 15 years? But nothing yet compared to this and likely it will get worse with election results.

I've had an order of SRP with basspro open for the last 7 months... It's been "processing" this entire time... Until today when it was cancelled.
I have had SRPs on my list for several years and just never got around to buying them. It is the only reloading supply that I am low on and all I really need is around 1000 to match the number of projectiles. My own fault and I will just put up with it until things change.

If you look in the right places. There are tons of primers for sale on Gunbroker. At highly inflated prices. I visit online sellers every day to check. Midway, Powder Valley, Wideners, Grafs, Mid-South, Sportsman's Warehouse, nothing available. I've sat and done the refresh thing every few minutes to see if it changes over time. Never does for me.

But, I suspect that some primers are getting from manufacturers into retail hands. It may be a matter of who gets them once they arrive at a retail store. I'm not connected, I don't know anybody who works in a retail sporting goods establishment. But I'm guessing that there are some who are connected that way. Their pal at the store saves the primers for them, the primers never make it to the shelves. And this is the source of supply for all those new primers diverted to Gunbroker.

I haven't yet figured out how to see actual closing sale prices on Gunbroker without saving the listing. But I've started to save listings to see what prices they close at. Looks like, depending upon brand, they are closing at around 13 to 20 cents a primer, not including shipping.

The following wasn't a closed sale, still open, but the worst I've seen. Buy-it-now price for 100 (one hundred) SP primers, $34.95 plus 24.95 for shipping. At your door, that would be very near 60 (sixty) cents per primer.

About shipping. I get the very strong sense most of the primer sellers on Gunbroker are not using hazmat handling. Most refer to surface shipping. $15 to $25 seems the range. But a few mention first class mail which I know is way off the beam. Some show "actual cost" shipping and that could mean anything.

We've had famines and shortages of reloading supplies before over the past, what is it now, 15 years? But nothing yet compared to this and likely it will get worse with election results.

I don't have any "insider info", or personal friends working at retail outlets, yet have been able to purchase 4 bricks of small pistol, 1 brick of small pistol magnum and two bricks of small rifle match primers within the past 3 months, for a total cost of $175 + tax. All were purchased at the local Sportsman's Warehouse. It just takes patience and persistence. It also helps to be retired and live less than 3 miles away from the store. I only buy products that I perceive are a good deal for the money, and Sportsman's Warehouse has had some really good deals on primers during this panic. They do limit purchases to one brick of primers (or one pound of powder), but that enables more buyers to get some. I would never consider selling my primers, even at inflated prices. They are too valuable to part with (and difficult to ship, if you want to do it legally). :cool:

yet have been able to purchase 4 bricks of small pistol, 1 brick of small pistol magnum and two bricks of small rifle match primers within the past 3 months, for a total cost of $175 + tax. All were purchased at the local Sportsman's Warehouse. It just takes patience and persistence. It also helps to be retired and live less than 3 miles away from the store

Sportsman's Warehouse in Everett is the one retail establishment where I've gone in person looking for SP primers. With a higher population density than Tri Cities, I imagine that demand is higher over here. Lately in Everett, they've briefly had LP magnum and LR magnum, nothing in the small sizes. I'm retired, don't live all that far away BUT -- I'm not willing to wait in the store for 8 or 10 hours, seeing if or when any are going to come out on the shelves on a given day. I've stopped in several times in the past month, no go for smalls. All during the past three months, things have tightened down progressively too, so it seems to be getting worse. I wouldn't mind the limit of one brick. Back during another famine, Cabela's was limiting purchases to one tray of 100. But at least they had some.

I try to balance out my supplies like for like in bullets, powder and primers. But then I went and bought a box of 1,000 9mm bullets and find myself short at least that many SP primers.

"I haven't yet figured out how to see actual closing sale prices on Gunbroker without saving the listing."

Have you tried using the advanced search under completed items. It might give you some idea what items have sold for on gunbroker.

I haven't yet figured out how to see actual closing sale prices on Gunbroker without saving the listing.

You get an account. Not the account where you can sell. That takes a lot more info. Once you have that account you hit the advanced tab and in the upper left click on completed sales. enter "primers" in the top line and hit search.

Some recently are 1000 packs from $150.00-$185.00

Thanks guys, a few of you have reached out with "how to" so now I know.

Don't forget to reach out around you with friends, relatives etc. I put the word out I am looking for primers mainly thinking "hay if you see some for sale". But these showed up at my desk today from someone that just no longer has the time to load. Was not planned they just showed up, hitting him back with 5 boxes of factory 9mm and 2 boxes of SIG 300BLK as the least I can do. Better than cash and something he can go use. But tap those contacts and friends, it's out there.

IMG_2627.jpg

Don't forget to reach out around you with friends, relatives etc. I put the word out I am looking for primers mainly thinking "hay if you see some for sale". But these showed up at my desk today from someone that just no longer has the time to load. Was not planned they just showed up, hitting him back with 5 boxes of factory 9mm and 2 boxes of SIG 300BLK as the least I can do. Better than cash and something he can go use. But tap those contacts and friends, it's out there.

View attachment 764921

1603144076854.png

I just wish we had some news on the topic. Questions for manufacturers or importers:

Are you you up and running?
Are you selling only to ammo manufacturers presently?
When do you expect to package for reloaders?

And for retailers:
Have you tried importing primers?
If yes, what are the issues?

Stuff like that. Sitting in silence isn't fun. The most hopeful thing is some story from August 12 but no follow up since -- what happened to these several million primers?

An industry insider told G&A that several million primers are currently en route from Europe to the U.S. by way of ship, which may help meet at least some of the demand for loaded ammunition. Still, those primers need to arrive, be offloaded, clear customs and then be distributed to the various manufacturers who can use them to produce ammunition. This will take time.

I just wish we had some news on the topic. Questions for manufacturers or importers:

Are you you up and running?
Are you selling only to ammo manufacturers presently?
When do you expect to package for reloaders?

And for retailers:
Have you tried importing primers?
If yes, what are the issues?

Stuff like that. Sitting in silence isn't fun. The most hopeful thing is some story from August 12 but no follow up since -- what happened to these several million primers?

I imagine you'd get the following response:
Trade Secrets...Corporate Secrets...We're a private company we don't owe you nothin'!

I agree that it'd be nice to know. Only thing I can think to check is the public company's quarterlies. And most arms companies seem to be private.

I'm running out of small pistol magnum primers and cant seem to fin any. never. Few weeks back I was at cabelas and had a chat with a nice older gentleman, he sold me some non magnum primers the next day for a good price :). So, its there, you just gotta be lucky. Meanwhile I load my 500 mag... I have plenty rifle primers for that right now. And I have about 1000rds of 9mm, 45acp and 38spl loaded. I just don't shoot as much until I find more primers!

Bimart in Beaverton received 5 sleeves of CCI SR primers. These are the first primers they have received in months (supposedly). The ammo train has started rolling, and powder too, maybe primers will follow soon.

Last Edited:
I've had an order of SRP with basspro open for the last 7 months... It's been "processing" this entire time... Until today when it was cancelled.
Midway pulled that stunt on me last go 'round. Had a case (5000) standard CCI .22 on order right BEFORE the last crisis...well, Midway put my order on hold status for almost exactly 1 year, before cancelling. All the meanwhile selling 500 round bricks for inflated prices. This goes well beyond any free-market principle. Haven't shopped there since and never will.

I had the same with Bass Pro Shops. Ordered two cases of .22LR on a good sale early this year ... just before the crises hit. Well they were backordered repeatedly for 6 months before cancelling my order. All the while they were not only advertising and selling the exact same ammo online but they were sending me promotional emails offering the same stuff I ordered. Of course, both instances at much more cost than the sale price they originally sold them for.

I will never give them another dime of my money. :mad:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews