JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No. If you are not a US citizen, the law requires that you be resident in the county where you make your application for at least 6 months.

You're also required to have filled out and sent in a form stating that you intend to become a citizen (~$250 form IIRC). So much for "shall issue", and resident aliens having the same rights as citizens :confused:

This is a small to mid-size rural county. The Sheriff just allocates more resources to patrol instead of the civil department. Apparently the flood of bank foreclosures as kept the regular Sergeant from working on CHL and the Sheriff thought that the volume of carry applications would go down. Like I said, he finally got a clue and hired someone just to process CHL.

I finally had my CHL appointment today. Took my Oregon/Utah class way back in April but was told by the Sherrifs Department that they would not accept any application until the actual appointment time. OK when is the next appointment? 20 weeks! So I have been patiently waiting for nearly five months. Got my Utah permit over 9 weeks ago and have been carrying in Washington, especially Spokane, but have to disarm at the border everytime. Heck if I go through Portland I have to take all of the rounds out of my magazines!

So I finally had my CHL appointment today. Course certificate, 2 picture IDs, birth certificate, application with "two character references" WTH? I thought Oregon was a Shall Issue State? Got finger printed, picture taken and wrote a check. Because of my unique name my 4473 checks come back clean in 30 seconds so I was hoping to get my CHL in hand within 30 days. The young lady tells me that they usually run 45 days, but because they have been so busy expect to wait 90 days. WTH again? I thought that Oregon State required that Sheriff offices process your application in 60 days? They already cheated by not accepting it for 140 days. Are they really unnecessarily calling two references for every applicant?

I am not naming the County until I have my permit in hand. Once that is complete who do I complain to?
man that sucks. I did mine in Washington county. I think whole ordeal was maybe 35 days.

WA resident here .... got my non-resident OR CHL in Columbia County six years ago. Would recommend it to any WA resident needing an OR CHL. After my appt (they have them monthly, very little waiting), I got it in the mail two weeks later. This year I renewed and had a lot less paperwork to fill out and again waited two weeks to get it in the mail. Love carrying on both sides of the river :)

Yeah. In WA there is no test, no nothing. Walk in and it usually gets approved on the same day (and in the mail a few days later). Why don't you OR guys try to repeal that test nonsense - the 2A does not say "the right to keep and bear arms shall be infringed from the moment you are born until you pass a test that the government comes up with".

I just moved and had to change my mult co permit and was dredding having to wait to get it back in prime hiking and fishing weather.
Was sooooooo happy when they processed it and gave me a new card right then.

This is what happens with anything but a strict SHALL ISSUE policy. (Which Oregon does NOT have.)

Throw those Californians OUT. That's your only solution. They moved because they hated California and proceeded to make it just like "home."

"Portlandia" is not a TV show, it's a friggin documentary. There's a reason I will never darken that hellhole's doors with my dollars. Much like California, which at least has Disneyland to recommend it.

My new sig-line: Don't Oregonian Washington.

Good deal. Did Washington County require the name, phone number and full addresses of two character references?

Yes they did on mine. but the 2 contacts that i put down were never contacted as far as i know. The wait time form sending in my application was about 3 months. Got there at my scheduled time, they reviewed my application and all my documentation, then while i was getting fingerprinted and my picture taken they ran my background. Mine background took a little longer then the people that had arrived after me which was weird, I did have a DUI 5 years ago, which is the only thing i can think of. but passed and they gave me my card that day. was there about 30 mins all together.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top