JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1696546682905.png

1696546614100.png

1696546592206.png

Aloha, Mark

He missed 114! Cali people generally do not help Oregon 2A? Same with NY?
Not all California emigrants are created equal, @tkdguy. Those who show up in Oregon already owning one or more guns and talking happily about getting an AR are on our side, and should not be blamed for what the majority of Californians have done to their 2A rights.

Hello Alfonzo @fonzonunez . Welcome from the guntotin' old broad contingent. I'm mostly into Colt, SW and Ruger revolvers in .357 mag and 44 mag.

What is going on of immediate relevance to you is Oregon Initiative 114, passed by a narrow margin, outlaws sale of magazines holding more than 10 rounds or use of them in most public places if you have one. (Ha ha ha. One. :s0140: ) However, 114, due to go into effect Nov 2023 as I recall, has been held up in court battles at the state court and supreme court. Even though the law has not taken effect, many sellers will not sell high capacity (standard) magazines to Oregonians already. Midway, I am grateful to say, still sells Oregonians anything we want.

Another feature of 114 is that it requires a permit and fee to buy a gun in the state of Oregon, and to get the permit you will have to get a background check, take a course, pass a safety and shooting test, etc. And we don't have applications for such permits, or any process for applying for the permits. And no funding was provided for processing applications. Basically, when 114 activates all gun sales in Oregon may become illegal for months, maybe years because no one will have the required permits to buy.

114 does not ban ARs or other so-called assault rifles. But the anti gunners are going for them next. They may well be banned within the next year or two. Even if they are banned my guess is you will still be allowed to keep and use them in your own home, on your own property and at gun ranges. But not elsewhere . That was the plan for already owned high cap mags.

Oregon Concealed Handgun Permits (CHPs) are relatively easy to get still. They affect not just legally carrying a concealed handgun but the rules with respect to transporting them in vehicles. Oregon is a "must issue" state. That is, if you meet the criteria, they have to give you one. You don't get denied just because you aren't buddies with the sheriff or your local government is controlled by antigunners. However, many county sheriffs have a backlog of applications for the interviews that is months long. If you have military or LE experience you don't need to take a course. If you do need to take a course make sure its one that qualifies you for the Oregon CHP. I suggest you check your county sheriff's office website and get instructions and forms for applying right away. And set up an appointment right away. If you aren't ready when the appointment comes up you can always cancel and get one later.

All gun sales in Oregon, even those between private parties or at gun shows, must go through an FFL (federal firearms license holder) and involve a background check. The only exceptions are transfers among close family members . All gun shops have ffls. Most will do a transfer between private parties for $25 - $40. Most of us with CHPs find our background checks usually go through In ten minutes to an hour or so. We usually get priority in the que since we already have passed a recent background check last time we renewed our CHP and are such ridiculously law abiding characters. Without an Oregon CHP your background check is more likely to take days instead of minutes.

So you might want to buy that AR right now. Or at least figure out exactly what you want and buy all the mags you are going to ever want for it now.

Cheers
Carol

Last Edited:
Welcome, ignore these guy's wise cracks. If one of them moved to Idaho they would be "Labeled" as anti 2A as well, and all because of the license plates on their vehicles.

I escaped that communist hellhole in 1994, when 2nd amend rights were still a thing. You couldn't pay me to move back now.
a lot of them came up here and support taking away out 2 A rights. They still come up here and campaign against us. Just look in certain neighborhoods in PDX and you will see Cali plates all over. The ones I see are not moving into conservative neighborhoods but are attracted to certain cult like thinkers per their special interests.

I hated the gun laws in CA, which is one of the reasons I moved from there besides it being crazy expensive. I'm all for 2nd amend rights, I believe high cap magazines shouldn't be banned. If they are saying the reason for the ban is because mass shooters, I call BS. If someone has an agenda, they are doing everything they can to be successful.

The CHL(CCW) is way better here than CA. In CA, you can only have 3 firearms max on your permit. If you wanted to change one out you'd have to notify your siding agency. From what I looked into and heard here in OR, you don't have to list specific firearms or have to qualify with your specific firearm. That alone is a plus.

Drop some recommendations, can build or have one built ready for sale for AR's, I'm still in my research. I've already looked at M&P sport II, FN 15 Guardian, Q Honey Badger & Sweet weasel.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

We are doing non ODF supported cleanups at public forests - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

I hated the gun laws in CA, which is one of the reasons I moved from there besides it being crazy expensive. I'm all for 2nd amend rights, I believe high cap magazines shouldn't be banned. If they are saying the reason for the ban is because mass shooters, I call BS. If someone has an agenda, they are doing everything they can to be successful.

The CHL(CCW) is way better here than CA. In CA, you can only have 3 firearms max on your permit. If you wanted to change one out you'd have to notify your siding agency. From what I looked into and heard here in OR, you don't have to list specific firearms or have to qualify with your specific firearm. That alone is a plus.

Drop some recommendations, can build or have one built ready for sale for AR's, I'm still in my research. I've already looked at M&P sport II, FN 15 Guardian, Q Honey Badger & Sweet weasel.
Good for you. If you are undecided I would suggest getting a (or some) stripped or completed AR lowers now as well as ammo. BiMart is a good source for local ammo and some reloading supplies.

Regardless of what many on this forum will say, learn to panic buy and hoard firearms related items. I'll be on my way in a few minutes to buy some 5.56 I don't really need...for now🫢.

Otherwise enjoy your freedom. Salem isn't far away. Feel free to contact your representative and left, sorry, I mean let them know you want to stay free.

Good for you. If you are undecided I would suggest getting a (or some) stripped or completed AR lowers now as well as ammo. BiMart is a good source for local ammo and some reloading supplies.

Regardless of what many on this forum will say, learn to panic buy and hoard firearms related items. I'll be on my way in a few minutes to buy some 5.56 I don't really need...for now🫢.

Otherwise enjoy your freedom. Salem isn't far away. Feel free to contact your representative and left, sorry, I mean let them know you want to stay free.
Just bought a M&P Sport II. Need more ammo and mags forsure. Still looking for a red dot, stock, & light. Lol looks like I'll be going to bimart later today too. Any good places to shoot that's not an indoor range(range fees)?

Just bought a M&P Sport II. Need more ammo and mags forsure. Still looking for a red dot, stock, & light. Lol looks like I'll be going to bimart later today too. Any good places to shoot that's not an indoor range(range fees)?
Not sure what part of "Portland" you're in. Like LA, could be a lot of places. If you're on the west side I would say come up hwy 26 to Wolfcreek Rd or down hwy 6 to Browns Camp(less recommended but available). That's 40 mins minimum but outside and free. Also after Halloween there could be snow concerns if you don't have 4x4. It doesn't get too bad but the shooting spots are at higher elevations.

I'm from LA and managed to survive 20yrs here so far.

1277.jpg 1278.jpg

Welcome aboard! Gun laws here are starting to suck, not as bad as Cali, but those in charge are trying...

Good luck on buying cool bubblegum :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top